Sunday, Sept. 22, 2024

The Week in Fun Calendar

Thursday, Nov. 13 Calexico 7 p.m. WHERE: 9:30 club, 815 V. St. N.W. METRO: U Street/African-American Civil War Memorial/Cardozo (green and yellow lines) INFO: This folk-country band has been getting great buzz in the alternative music scene. Hit up the 9:30 club Thursday night for what's sure to be a soothing jaunt as Calexico makes you see that same old, dusty road in a whole new way. COST: $17

Friday, Nov. 14 Sway 7 p.m. WHERE: Meyer Auditorium, Freer Gallery of Art, 1050 Independence Ave. S.W. METRO: Smithsonian (blue and orange lines) INFO: This Smithsonian presentation features a Japanese film by Miwa Nishikawa that explores the tensions within a fictional Japanese family. This film is part of the series "Presentation of Roads to the Interior: Another Side of Japanese Cinema." COST: Free, but tickets required

Saturday, Nov. 15 Free hot chocolate 10 a.m.-11 p.m. WHERE: National Gallery Ice Skating Rink, Constitution Ave. N.W. METRO: Archives-Navy Mem'l-Penn Quarter (green and yellow lines) INFO: Come to the opening of the National Gallery's ice skating rink in the Sculpture Garden. Free hot cocoa all day with other foodstuffs available. Help usher in the winter! COST: $6 admission, $3 skate rental

Sunday, Nov. 16 Brazilian Film Week 2 p.m. WHERE: Greenberg Theatre, 4200 Wisconsin Ave. N.W. METRO: Tenleytown-AU (red line) INFO: Catch the final day of this film fest which takes place from Nov. 13 to 16. Feature films start at 5:30 p.m. and 8:15 p.m., with Brazilian snacks preceding each showing. Check out the feature in this issue to find out more. COST: Free

Monday, Nov. 17 "Brando Himself" 7 p.m. WHERE: McEvoy Auditorium, National Portrait Gallery, Eighth and F Street N.W. METRO: Gallery Place-Chinatown (green, red and yellow lines) INFO: Actor Edward Gero brings legendary actor Marlon Brando to life for an evening with the National Portrait Gallery. Using only quotes from Brando's life, this mock-interview will delve into Brando's life like a portrait never could. COST: Free

Tuesday, Nov. 18 Open Mic Doors open 8:15 p.m. WHERE: Langston Room, Busboys and Poets, 2021 14th St. N.W. METRO: U Street/African-American Civil War Memorial/Cardozo (green and yellow lines) INFO: Busboys and Poets, one of the city's most popular spots for literary arts, hosts an open mic. Wristbands for the open mic can be purchased all day from the Busboys and Poets bookstore. COST: $4