Volleyball brief

Volleyball loses to Army, shares league regular season crown

The AU women's volleyball team lost its first league match of the season on Saturday, falling to the U.S. Military Academy 3-1 at Bender Arena. The loss places the Eagles into a tie with the Black Knights for the regular season championship.

Despite taking the first set 25-21, the Eagles could not prevent the Black Knights from taking three straight sets and victory in the match.

After the Black Knights took control of the match by winning the second two sets, 25-21 and 25-15, respectively, the two teams traded points back and forth in the final set, before Army took the final two points of the set to take the set and match victory.

Even with the loss, AU retains the No. 1 seed in the Patriot League tournament and will host the four-team semifinals and finals at Bender Arena starting on Friday Nov. 21. The Eagles will face No. 4 seed Bucknell University in one semifinal while No. 2 Army faces No. 3 Colgate University in the other.

-JUSTIN HALL