Saturday, Oct. 19, 2024

West Coast woes for Caps

Saying hello to the sunshine isn't always good. The Capitals started a three-game swing on the West Coast last night, and while California is beautiful and sunny, it is the last place Eastern Conference teams want to play. The time difference and the amount of travel can sometimes deflate even the hottest teams.

The Caps played the Ducks, Sharks and Kings, none of whom can be underestimated. Both the Ducks and Sharks are contenders in the Western Conference. It is the first real test for the Caps against the Western Conference, the oft-considered superior conference, this year. The hardest of the three games is the last against the league leading San Jose Sharks.

The Capitals have shown they are capable of winning lately, taking five of its last six. Both the defense and offense has been exceptional but the team has also been well rested. Four of the last seven games have been at home where they have continued their record of gaining a point in every home game.

The team has struggled on the road, only winning two of eight away from the Verizon Center. Even with the poor record, extended home stands have helped keep the team on top of the Southeastern Division. In such a tight division, the Capitals can't continue on the road they way they have.

Playing in another team's building isn't easy for any team no matter the sport. An opposing team's ice is both foreign and intimidating. These factors are the main reason why home ice advantage in the playoffs is so coveted.

Players struggle on an ice surface that, depending on the climate, could be rock hard and fast or soft and slow. Concentration is certainly another major challenge particularly for high profile players and goaltenders. A visiting teams strategy often can be changed depending on the building they are playing in and its noise level.

40,000 screaming fans can be empowering when they are cheering for you. Against you is another story entirely. Concentration is nearly impossible and they can be demoralizing, as they will point out every mistake a visiting player makes. A raucous opposing crowd is all that is needed to derail even the best players in the National Hockey League.

The crowd is known as the 12th man in football, with the Seattle Seahawks even raising the "12th man flag" before every game. They could be known as the seventh man in hockey. Some buildings are more conducive to loud crowds than others. Unfortunately the Capitals play their last game on the West Coast in one of the loudest buildings in the NHL, the HP Pavilion, a.k.a. The Shark Tank.

With inconsistent goaltending and players just breaking out of slumps, the Caps more than ever need to maintain focus. They must remember the crowd are just spectators, not players. The team as a whole must support everyone from the coaching staff to their line mates. A strong locker room is key for any sports franchise to maintain a winning away record.

If Alex Ovechkin and the Caps can steal one or two in an opposing building it could be what the team needs to push for the playoffs. Many players think the team has yet to hit its stride and a strong win on the road can give build confidence. Goaltenders become more comfortable in net and the production of offensive lines can explode.

The team has looked strong coming into this road trip and fans should expect to see a well-rested fast team. The Capitals is perhaps one of the quickest teams in the Eastern Conference and should be able to stack up well against the west. It is impossible to know what will happen on the West Coast, as so many factors can alter outcomes. If the Caps maintains its focus, the team has a good shot at continuing their winning ways.

You can reach this columnist at atomlinson@theeagleonline.com.