Tuesday, Oct. 22, 2024

Ask AU: What should Obama do in his first 100 days as president?

"There's so many things that need to be addressed. I think so far he's done a great job just in a few days of making it clear that foreign policy is going to change in terms of the attitude he is giving out to the world..." -Greta Wicklund, Junior, SIS

"I think Obama should invest in renewable energy to rebuild the economy and help with gas prices." -Stevia Morawski, Freshman, CAS

"I hope he works more on social issues and doesn't shy away from that. I'd love to see him repeal 'don't ask, don't tell,' I know that is something the LGBT community is really looking forward to but I don't think that's going to probably be happening the first 100 days. But that's something I'd like to see. But yea, I think mostly what he's going to be doing is to help with the economic stimulus package." -Liz Feuerbach, Junior, SOC

"Get the economy back on track, and even if he doesn't make a huge change with the economy, because that would be really hard to do in such a short amount of time, at least make the general public feel confident that he was going to do something positive for the economy." -Mollie Kaubrys, Freshman, SIS

"It is important to end the war in Iraq and completely withdraw American troops, not just withdraw most of them or keep some American forces. I'm glad he's closing Guantanamo, and I would want him to establish better relations in countries like Bolivia and Venezuela and stop harassing them essentially." -Chris Lewis, Sophomore, CAS

"The first thing Obama needs to do is realize that not everyone can be pleased." -Andrew Daly, Freshman, SIS

"I'd like him to rethink the stimulus package he's proposing right now. I think that instead of doing a more tax credit-based system, which is what he's talking about, I think that a corporate taxing restructuring will be better. But I'm not going to get what I want." -Garrett Asta, Junior, Kogod

"There are a lot of things to expect from him, especially with the financial crisis. Hopefully he can be a part of the solution to solve the financial crisis, and furthermore he's going to be a part of the solution to solve the crisis in the Middle East, and especially to withdraw from Iraq - those are big things. There are so many things to expect from him, I don't know [what he will do the first 100 days]. But those are the big things I expect from him." -Phuoc Tran, Senior, SIS

"I would probably say that Obama's best bet is to go ahead and acquaint himself with the office, all of the different bureaucracies within the executive branch and acquaint himself with every aspect of our military strategy in order to maintain the safety of our troops abroad and here at home. I would probably have him tackle key social issues including getting the democratic liberal base really energized about healthcare and other issues and really just starting the process of taking the promises that we heard from the campaign and turning them into action." -Anthony Miller, Freshman, SPA

"I guess the number one priority has to be the economy, which I would guess that it already is, but for obvious reasons, that has to be number one. I think that health care needs to be a big one and it would be awesome if he could find a way for me to pay for my education. So if it was up to me, it would be education, and especially college tuition would be right up there." -Megan Miraglia, Sophomore, SPA

"I'd like it if he got rid of 'don't ask, don't tell.'" -Matt McVea, Sophomore, CAS