Tuesday, Oct. 22, 2024

Police blotter

Jan. 2

While on routine patrol, an officer observed graffiti on the west wall of the Dunblane House, adjacent to Warren Street. The officer notified Facilities Management to remove the graffiti.

Jan. 6

A university laptop computer was stolen from an employee's office in the Beeghly Chemistry building.

The fire alarm activated inside Bender Library. Officers responded, found no sign of smoke or fire and reset the alarm.

Jan. 7

An AU student studying in the Georgetown University library stepped away from her study area desk. When she returned, she noticed that someone had taken her bag. The bag contained an AU key, her wallet, car keys, two books and cash. An AU officer advised her to file a report with Georgetown University Department of Public Safety.

Jan. 8

A smoke detector in the third floor gallery of the Katzen Arts Center activated the fire alarm. All students, faculty and staff inside the building evacuated. Authorities did not find any sign of smoke or fire and reset the alarm. The evacuees were allowed back into the building.

While taking an exam, a student experienced symptoms of a panic attack. The D.C. Fire Department responded and transported the individual to Sibley Hospital.

Jan. 9

While on routine patrol, an officer found a non-resident student asleep in the Kogod School of Business building after it had been closed and secured. The student was initially reluctant to identify herself. She claimed she was sleeping in the office only for one night while waiting for her living situation to be settled the next day. The officer contacted a resident director. The student was able to stay at Congressional Hall for the remainder of the night.

A visitor fainted in front of an elevator in the Katzen Arts Center. She was conscious upon Public Safety's arrival. DCFD transported her to Sibley Hospital.

A student reported a stolen bicycle from the Letts-Anderson Quad. He said he had secured his bicycle to a bike rack with a heavy-duty combination lock and chain. Jan. 10

Facilities Management staff reported an unoccupied vehicle appeared to have struck a column in the tunnel turnaround. The vehicle was identified.

Jan. 11

Two students in Anderson Hall reported they were sleeping when they heard someone rattling their doorknob. Their door was locked at the time. They woke and saw a male in their room holding an object that looked like a credit card. When they confronted him, he said he was in the wrong room and left. When they inspected their door, they noticed a key had been broken in the door. No injuries were reported. No property was reported stolen.

Five students were stuck in an elevator in Letts Hall. Facilities Management released the students from the elevator. DCFD checked the status of the elevator and cleared the scene.

Jan. 12

An elevator technician and a Public Safety officer responded to a report of a Facilities Management employee stuck in a freight elevator in Centennial Hall. The individual was released. No injuries were reported.

Two students reported stolen property from a locked locker they shared inside the Sports Center.