Tuesday, Oct. 22, 2024

Campus calendar

Thursday, Feb. 26 Miss America 2008: Kirsten Haglund 8:30 p.m. WHERE: Ward 1 INFO: Haglund will speak about dealing with an eating disorder and her advocacy for body image awareness, as the finale for AU's Body Image Awareness Week. Free with an AU ID, $5 for guests. CONTACT: For more information, e-mail africastudiescouncilau@gmail.com.

Friday, Feb. 27 Whitman marathon reading 5:30 p.m. WHERE: Battelle-Tompkins Atrium INFO: AU students and faculty will read the entirety of Walt Whitman's 52-section-long poem, "Song of Myself." Volunteers in the audience can also read selections during this reading in honor of President Obama's election. CONTACT: For more information or to sign up to read a specific part of the poem, visit tinyurl.com/ctcydh or contact voris@american.edu.

Saturday, Feb. 28 Dance: "Breakin' For Birney" 5-11 p.m. WHERE: The Tavern INFO: DJ Skeme Richards and the Rock Steady Crew will play music at a benefit for the Facilitating Leadership in Youth organization. The event is free for students at D.C. universities and $5 for guests. CONTACT: For more information, e-mail bfb@outofbreath.com.

Sunday, March 1 AU Symphony Orchestra performance 3 p.m. WHERE: Katzen Arts Center, Abramson Family Recital Hall INFO: The AU Symphony Orchestra will play selected pieces by Mozart, Brant and Schumann. Tickets cost $5 for AU students and $15 for guests. CONTACT: For more information and to purchase tickets, visit american.tix.com.

Monday, March 2 Lecture: Teacher of the Year Michael Geisen 6-8 p.m. WHERE: MGC 1 INFO: Hear from the National Teacher of the Year Michael Geisen speak about his teaching experiences and answer questions at an event hosted by Kappa Delta Pi and the School of Education, Teaching and Health. CONTACT: For more information, e-mail dupuy@american.edu.

Tuesday, March 3 Lecture: "Land Rights and Internal Displacement" Noon-1:30 p.m. WHERE: Kay Spiritual Life Center, Basement INFO: Director Danilo Iván Rueda Rodríguez will speak about his NGO dedicated to accompanying the Afro-Colombians who are displaced by the African palm oil companies working with paramilitary groups. The director of the largest organization in Colombia working on internal displacement will also speak on the struggle of ethnic minorities in Colombia. CONTACT: For more information, e-mail nelson.julia@gmail.com.