Sunday, Sept. 22, 2024

'Loser' tests friendships

Reinforcing the value of using teamwork to lose weight was the goal behind NBC's reality show "The Biggest Loser: Couples." However, for friends Joelle Gwynn and Carla Triplett, it also proved to be a test of their friendship. In an interview with The Eagle, the two discussed their difficulties.

Trouble first began for this twosome when the teams were told one of them had to return home and continue exercising outside the Biggest Loser ranch. Her teammate would remain and continue working to bring back her other half. Gwynn insisted on staying in order to prove herself to family and friends. Triplett, meanwhile, continued her fight against obesity at her own home. After four weeks, she had lost 20 pounds.

"I showed America you can still do it at home," Triplett said.

Upon Triplett's return to the Biggest Loser ranch, Gwynn's light seemed to have burnt out and the weigh-in showed she had not lost any weight. This resulted in the other teams' decision to vote her and Triplett off the ranch. Yet Gwynn remains adamant that she did not give up and blames shady editing for misrepresenting her efforts.

"I think I went through tremendous challenges," she told The Eagle. "There are so many victories you weren't aware of. I learned to swim in the deep water and overcome so many things on that ranch in such a limited time, and I'm very proud of that. The focus of this opportunity was to lose weight, and I challenged myself to do that."

Both women are now eager to return to the show's finale with new slim figures. At home, they are following the rigorous workout routines and fitness tips given to them by their Biggest Loser trainer, Bob Harper. Triplett works out six-to-eight hours a day, while Gwynn has become involved with Pilates, kickboxing and spinning classes.

With their journey on the ranch over, the relationship between Triplett and Gwynn remains damaged. While Triplett insists she still considers Gwynn a friend, the feeling isn't mutual. Gwynn insists they were never best friends but merely acquaintances.

"We had a hard road, but we made it. Right now, we're still achieving our goals, and I'm still very supportive of her, [but] we're electing to do them separately," she said.

"The Biggest Loser: Couples" airs Tuesdays at 8 p.m. on NBC. On Feb. 10, the show will celebrate its 100th episode.

You can reach this writer at thescene@theeagleonline.com.