Tuesday, Oct. 22, 2024
BUILT UP - The cover for the bridged walkway next to Mary Graydon Center is slated to be complete by Feb. 15. This is one of four projects currently underway at AU. The new School of International Service building, the Kogod School of Business expansion a

MGC walkway cover nears completion

The bridged walkway next to Mary Graydon Center is getting a facelift, as a canopy is currently being installed over it.

The project is one of four building projects underway at AU.

The new School of International Service building is almost above ground, with the parking garage currently under construction. The building should be closed in and weather-tight by late October, according to information on the Office of the University Architect's Web site.

Some students said they have mixed feelings about the project.

Brian Spak, a graduate student in SIS, said he was going to miss the current Davenport Coffee Lounge location after it will be moved to the new building.

"I have affection for this room - the dark wood, and so on," he said.

Spak saw the computer renderings of the new lounge, and said the new location wouldn't have the same feeling.

While some may not see that project as an improvement, construction is not a major inconvenience to students. The project to cover the bridge next to MGC, though, continues to affect student access between MGC and Butler Pavilion. The remaining arches that will support the canopy from the main quad to the Campus Store have yet to be erected. The project's completion date is Feb. 15. Until then, the bridge will remain closed, according to the office's Web site.

Joseph House, an SIS grad student, said he had no idea about the MGC bridge covering project, and there seemed to be less information available about the smaller projects on campus than large projects like the SIS building.

Nevertheless, University Architect Jerry Gager said his office posts information about its projects that is readily available to whomever is interested.

"There are drawings on the wall and a description of the work near the doors from the Tavern to the bridge," he said.

The Kogod School of Business expansion is now in use, and the University Architect's office is working with contractors to attend to a list of minor details that are incomplete.

The Kay Spiritual Life Center Lounge is being renovated; new carpeting and new door handles have been installed and the project is expected to be substantially complete by the end of January.

The University Architect's Web site is updated regularly to reflect progress on all projects underway, and updates are e-mailed to affected staff and faculty, and anyone would like to stay informed.

You can reach this writer at news@theeagleonline.com.