Tuesday, Oct. 22, 2024

Police blotter

Feb. 4

A student reported a fire outside of Constitution Hall and extinguished the flames with water. The Department of Public Safety responded and noticed a large pile of newspaper ashes on the step landing near the Tenley field side doors. Public Safety contacted the Grounds Department to remove the ashes. The D.C. Fire Department was not contacted. No damage, other than to the approximately 20 newspapers, was reported.

A locksmith reported noticing damaged doors at the bridge connecting McDowell Hall and Leonard Hall. It appeared someone pulled on the doors to gain entry from one building to the other. The door leading from McDowell was propped open with a drinking glass. Graffiti was written on the windows.

A resident director in Anderson Hall reported two incidents involving the same student suspect. During the first incident, a desk receptionist asked the suspect to leave the building because he had been confrontational. Upon being asked to leave, the suspect made threatening and disparaging remarks to the receptionist and then left the building. The suspect later returned to the building. When confronted by a different receptionist, the suspect walked by the desk, made an inappropriate remark to her and continued into the building, ignoring her request to show his AU identification card. The suspect walked to the conference room area, returned, and left the building. The resident director indicated she would file Judicial Affairs and Mediation Services charges.

A student became weak and disoriented while purchasing food at the Eagle's Nest. She indicated she had donated blood earlier in the day and had not had a chance to eat. She signed a medical refusal form and left.

Feb. 5

The D.C. Fire Department transported a student in Constitution Hall to Sibley Hospital. The student vomited profusely and indicated she had been feeling ill for the last week.

An unidentified individual took an iPod and accessories from a parked vehicle on Massachusetts Avenue. The complainant also notified Metropolitan Police Department.

A vehicle's manufacturer's emblem was taken from a rear passenger tire of a parked vehicle in the Nebraska parking lot.

A community member reported defaced property in Letts Hall.

Feb. 6

Public Safety responded to a report of a sick person and found an individual conscious, alert and very pale in Anderson. She stated she had been feeling ill for the past few days and made an appointment with the Student Health Center. She declined medical transport. She walked to the health center with a friend and a witness.

Public Safety responded to a report of a despondent individual on the main quadrangle of the Washington College of Law. The individual appeared confused and had no identification. She was escorted to a Metrobus stop to Sibley. MPD responded but the individual had departed the area.

Public Safety observed an Army Corps evacuation sign had been forcibly removed from a signpost and was missing from the area outside the Office of Financial Aid building. A site manager indicated no one from the Army Corps project removed the sign.

Feb. 7

Water flowing from a broken pipe activated a fire alarm in the Sports Center. People evacuated the building. Facilities Management closed the valve to the broken pipe and authorized the alarms be silenced.

A smoke detector in the basement of the Mary Graydon Center activated a fire alarm. Smoke from contractors welding in the basement triggered the detector.

Feb. 8

Three unidentified individuals carrying three large containers of ice cream were seen walking out of the Terrace Dining Room area through the loading dock doors. The individuals fled the area with the containers upon being confronted by the complainant.

While on a routine patrol at Leonard Hall, Public Safety discovered the front entrance door lock to the Child Development Center on the ground next to the door. Public Safety canvassed the interior and exterior and determined there were no signs of forced entry. It is possible the lock may have fallen from the door due to the door slamming when opening and closing.

A student became lightheaded and fell several times after taking hits of tobacco from a hookah in the Amphitheater. The student was conscious and very alert upon arrival of Public Safety. The student indicated he took in more nicotine than he could handle. The student signed a medical refusal form.

Feb. 9

A student reported a broken window in a lower level classroom area in the School of International Service building. Facilities Management taped the window and placed caution tape in front of the window area until the glass could be replaced.

An individual in Capital Hall fell, causing an abrasion on his knee. Public Safety provided first aid. The individual refused further medical treatment and signed a medical refusal form.

Feb. 10

A student consumed alcohol and drugs. DCFD transported the student to Sibley.

An employee reported her vehicle was damaged while parked in the Nebraska lot.