Sunday, Sept. 22, 2024

Protestors swarm Munich's city center

MUNICH, Germany -- The way leading to the Marienplatz, Munich's central square, recalled images of an extravagant celebrity entrance - only a subway platform served as the red carpet and the paparazzi were fully laden police commandos lining both sides.

On any other day the square would be overflowing with tourists and pedestrians. But on the afternoon of Feb. 7, approximately 4,000 protestors and approximately 3,000 police officers travelled from all corners of Germany to attend the demonstration against the 45th Munich Security Conference, according to a police officer from the German state of Nordrhein-Westfalen - some 300 miles away.

There are more than 1,000 civilian police officers on duty every day in Munich. It wasn't difficult to imagine that this figure was belittled by Saturday's police presence.

Increased security measures were apparent throughout the entire city. Trams and buses were even re-routed to accommodate the diplomatic traffic and the sudden three-fold growth of Munich's police force.

The Marienplatz was crawling with citizens bent on making their opposition to the conference heard. Psychedelic old-timers trying to relive their salad days of the '60s by dancing with kaleidoscopic umbrellas stood aside their younger, self-proclaimed punk counterparts.

Upon arrival, a friend who belongs to the activist group the German Socialist Worker Youths rolled up my sleeve and wrote two phone numbers on my arm.

The first number was hers, she said. The second was for the group's lawyer.

"If you get arrested, don't say anything. And don't accept anything - otherwise they'll have your fingerprints."

The Black Bloc, an international organization infamous for their anti-establishment and aggressive tendencies, led the procession. One chant emitting from their loudspeaker imitated an old police-condemning N.W.A. track. Others criticized NATO, blaming the international military organization for what it deemed murderous and unfair policies.

Trash collectors strolled around the packed central square, regularly emptying the trash bins. It seemed counterproductive - they could've waited until Monday, when the square offered a little more breathing room. They decided to maneuver their way through the day's tight crowds, though, in order to prevent incendiary devices from being detonated within the crowds or near the police, one of them told me.

After several speakers had finished giving long speeches, a final warning came from the podium that the police might interrupt the demonstration. It reminded everyone of their rights to a peaceful protest and instructed them to keep marching no matter what.

Punk music with heavy bass roared across the square and everyone suddenly got noticeably louder. A collective rally cry confirmed the groups' solidarity, and an undeniable energy emanated as thousands began to move simultaneously.

Everyone had their own method of protest - from donning colorful makeup and twirling umbrellas to choreographed dance songs, to sporting only black and exhibiting a tendency for violence.

A group known as the Rebel Clowns were the most successful in getting their message across, however. These activists had rainbow wigs, rosy cheeks and red noses with balloon animals in tow. International military organizations were, in their eyes, a ridiculous principle. So that's how they decided to express themselves - ridiculously.

They mulled through the crowds with water pistols in hand, mocking the Security Conference by calling out "Security! Where are you? Excuse me, has anyone seen our security?" Their best trick, according to another protestor, is when they approach an armed police officer and offer him or her flowers.

On the other hand, more aggressive tactics like those of the Black Bloc assured that not every activist organization enjoyed the same amount of police courteousness as the clowns. The Black Bloc marched arm-in-arm in perfect synchronization to prevent the police from penetrating their formations.

The entire procession was escorted on both sides by rows of police officers, but the Black Bloc was completely surrounded by the special commando forces.

Towards the end of the procession route, after the police had donned their helmets and gas masks, a number of commandos forced their way into the Bloc and violently pulled out several protestors, who were subsequently arrested.

A friend summed up the gravity of the all-black police commandos the best: "Be afraid of them," he warned. Their half-foot thick body armor, bullet-resistant shields, nightsticks and zip-ties for a quick arrest didn't leave much of a choice.

The same friend recalled his first experience with the special forces. It was during a 2003 protest against the U.S. military campaign Shock and Awe in Iraq. After some protestors got restless, the police felt obligated to act. So they surrounded the group and brought in a water cannon.

"[The police] put their helmets on, picked up their shields and started banging on them as they marched toward us," he said.

The problem with taking part in a large protest, he explained, is that the police will treat everyone involved as a single unit - the water cannon doesn't single out individual troublemakers.

Saturday's demonstration was the most peaceful in years, I was told. It received the attention of both local and international news outlets, ensuring that the collective voices of the protestors were heard.

You can reach this columnist at thescene@theeagleonline.com.