Tuesday, Oct. 22, 2024

Senate urges bookstore change

The AU Undergraduate Senate unanimously passed a resolution Feb. 1 encouraging the Campus Store to list the ISBNs of textbooks online rather than directing book buyers to the Follett Higher Education Group's Web site.

The resolution seeks to alter the bookstore's relationship with Follett, its textbook provider, before its contract with the company expires in June, according to Class of 2012 Sen. Jared Alves, one of the bill's sponsors. Rather than merely directing students to efollett.com to purchase their books, the resolution encourages the university to list the ISBNs, authors and editions of textbooks.

It seeks to make cheaper book-buying via Web sites such as Amazon and half.com easier and to correct the difficulties students have with the bookstore, such as incorrect textbook editions and book shortages, Alves said.

"The resolution specifically shows the sentiments of the student body," he said. "The bookstore contract is up at the end of June. Instead of allowing Auxiliary Services to renew it without concessions, the resolution just lets them know student feelings."

Auxiliary Services is the administrative office that manages retail services on campus such as the bookstore and postal services.

Since the Undergraduate Senate theoretically represents the student body, and the resolution was passed unanimously and with little debate, it shows how much students want action to be taken in regard to textbooks, Alves said.

Rachel Strohman, a sophomore in the College of Arts and Sciences, said that while she has not needed the ISBNs to purchase her textbooks from Amazon.com, the resolution is a good idea.

"Follett often charges ridiculously high prices," she said. "I can often buy new books from Amazon for cheaper than used books from Follett."

In solely using Follett, there is stifled competition, Alves said.

"We are touted as a capitalist society and as not having monopolies, which is what efollett is," he said.

However, the cost of textbooks, shortages and timeliness are often out of the bookstore's hands, said Auxiliary Services Director JoDe Norris.

In order for the bookstore to ensure an adequate number of textbooks are available, professors must adopt a textbook and let the store know which books they want for their classes by the Oct. 15 deadline for the spring semester, she said.

"But that's rarely met," she said. "It's usually closer to the semester start date, which makes it harder to get used books on time."

If professors do not submit their book requests on time, it is less likely that used copies - or any copies - will be available, Norris said. Thus, students will have to pay more.

A bookstore committee made up of students, faculty and staff discusses many issues the campus store faces such as cost and efficiency, she said.

"It tries to team with the faculty and educate everyone about the importance of the textbook process," Norris said.

She said she understands the student senators' motivation but wishes that the connection between students and the bookstore could improve.

"Their reasoning is not the relations I would like to see with the bookstore," Norris said. "But I understand."

The Undergraduate Senate's resolution would come into action before the Higher Education Opportunity Act, signed in August 2008, that will require universities to list the ISBNs of textbooks online by 2010.

Rather than waiting an additional year for the national legislation to be enacted, Alves said it does not make sense to waste money on textbooks for the 2009-2010 academic year.

The senate also passed another textbook-related resolution on Sunday, Alves said. It endorses a piece of legislation passed in the Faculty Senate and the creation of a committee of students, faculty members and administration to act as oversight for Auxiliary Services in matters such as the bookstore.

The recent flow of legislation regarding textbooks illustrates the need to take action, Alves said.

"We see, week after week, these things come through demonstrating we want something done," he said.

You can reach this staff writer at landerson@theeagleonline.com.