Tuesday, Oct. 22, 2024

SG brief

Dance lacks a floor

Student Government Vice President Andrew Woods and Director of Events Ben Schorr updated the Undergraduate Senate Sunday about Founders' Day Ball developments.

Schorr told senators the sale of additional tickets on Saturday went according to plan and 10 tickets were left over. The remaining tickets will not be sold, however, since SG had to report the final number of students attending the event to the Andrew W. Mellon Auditorium representatives and caterers, Schorr said.

The only difficulty the director said he now faces with the event is an absent dance floor.

Schorr said the dance floor, which was included in the initial contracts and invoices, is missing from the final invoice. He said he is unsure whether the omission is the fault of the venue or SG, and is working with the site's representatives to find a solution.

"We're looking to see what's needed on our end and on their end to make sure everything's smoothed over contractually," he said.

When SG officials noticed the mistake, they initially thought the dance floor might have been included for free, Schorr said. But during the final walk through at the auditorium, the venue representatives said she did not realize the event was a dancing event and said she would attempt to find the cheapest floor, Schorr said.

A dance floor normally costs around $3,000 and SG has about $1,600 to spend from the unsold tickets, he said.

While SG may ask the Mellon Auditorium to include the floor for free if the omission was the venue's fault, Schorr said he did not want to lose the contract with the auditorium and is unsure where the blame lies.

"To be honest, it was a mistake," said Woods, whose office oversees Schorr's events. "I don't know on whose part but I let people on that project know that I was concerned that it slipped out and no one knew including myself."

-LINDSEY ANDERSON