Sports briefs

AU WRESTLING SUFFERS FIRST HOME LOSS OF SEASON

The AU wrestling team lost its first home match of the year, falling to the University of Maryland, College Park, 26-11 Saturday night. The loss drops the Eagles' record on the year to 11-5.

Nationally ranked No. 2 senior Mike Cannon and No. 12 junior Kyle Borshoff each recorded a victory during the match.

Cannon remained undefeated on the season, wrestling in the 174-pound weight class and defeated his opponent, Bradley Nielson, by a score of 18-7. The win was Cannon's 25th in a row this season.

Borshoff defeated UMD's Chris Stinnett in the 149-pound weight class by a score of 15-3.

Redshirt junior Andy Semple picked up AU's only other individual win, taking a 4-2 decision in the 184-pound weight class.

-JUSTIN HALL

WOMEN'S LACROSSE LOSES HOME OPENER TO OHIO STATE

Senior attacker Gina Ibello scored three goals but it was not enough to help the Eagles avoid the 17-7 loss to the Buckeyes in Saturday's season opener at Jacobs Field.

The Eagles jumped out to an early lead on a goal from senior midfielder Leslie Fischer only one minute into the game, but Ohio State responded by scoring three straight and 11 of the next 12 to take a 11-2 lead in the second half of play.

AU cut the lead down only 11-4 with back-to-back goals by Ibello and freshman midfielder Paige Lin but it was not enough to prevent the Eagles' eventual 10-goal defeat.

"I'm excited with the way we competed hard for 60 minutes," AU Head Coach Katie Woods told AUeagles.com. "We continue to improve and will improve with each game. I think playing against an athletic team like Ohio State was a good learning experience for our team."

The Eagles return to action at 4 p.m. Wednesday afternoon when they travel to Philadelphia to face the Drexel University Dragons.

-J.H.