Saturday, Sept. 21, 2024

Top 10 movies to watch when you're sick

There may be nothing worse than being stuck in your room feeling like death when everyone else in your dorm or apartment building is out gallivanting in the beautiful spring weather, seemingly mocking your unhealthy immune system. Your body is too sore to do anything but lay in the fetal position on your bed and doing homework is out of the question, since brain activity is at a minimum. There's really only one thing left to do that'll make you feel better other than downing a cup of chicken noodle soup - stick in your favorite movie. Here are The Scene's top 10 choices for the best movies to watch when you're sick.

10) "The Graduate" A classic on every top film list, "The Graduate" is biting and witty, as well as the only Oscar-nominated (and winning) movie on this list. Dustin Hoffman fulfills the role that many men dare to dream about - the underage object of affection for a feisty cougar's love game. "The Graduate" shot Hoffman to stardom and made young men everywhere question whether or not every good-looking older woman they passed was actually trying to seduce them or just be friendly. A comedy with romantic undertones, "The Graduate" is at the top of its class.

9) "That Thing You Do" Tom Hanks is at the helm of this film and who doesn't love Tom Hanks? The movie follows The Wonders, an unknown band, as they rise to pop star fame as a one-hit wonder in the 1960s. As a follow-up to bands like The Beatles, the characters that make up The Wonders are charming, goofy and completely believable as na've musicians making it to the big time. Hanks plays their fearless manager, keeping the band members in check while simultaneously driving them apart. Part love story, part buddy film and part musical extravaganza, there's nothing better than sticking in this VHS from 1996 when you're feeling a bit under the weather.

8) "Love, Actually" It's funny, it's dirty, it's moving and it's holiday-filled. "Love, Actually" is one of the best films to watch when you're ill and are in the mood for a romantic comedy that rests in realism. The movie consists of several different characters and storylines dealing with the ups and downs of new and old love, touching on varying issues of the romantic persuasion. Sick days are the perfect time to reflect on your singledom and watch other people make the same mistakes you have, something "Love, Actually" succeeds at doing.

7) "The Princess Bride" The thought of taking a sick day without watching "The Princess Bride?" Inconceivable! A comedic retelling of an old classic, "The Princess Bride" is one of the more quotable films to grace our collective DVD collections. This satirical twist on classic fairytale tropes is the perfect companion to the blues, if only for its comedic and memorable lines that fit in any situation. Phrases like "as you wish" and "prepare to die" are never more ingrained in our minds than when we're coughing up a lung trying to recite them.

6) "Mrs. Doubtfire" Starring a rapping and cross-dressing Robin Williams, hard-as-nails Sally Fields and an adorable Mara Wilson (she was Matilda for goodness sake!), "Mrs. Doubtfire" is one of the best movies to watch when you're not feeling well. The movie is hilarious, but not without heart. Williams plays an unemployed father of three going through a divorce and attempting to gain custody of his kids. Already a voice actor, Williams decides to undergo a full transformation and dress up as an older woman (enter "Mrs. Doubtfire") so that he can, unbeknownst to his ex-wife and children, play nanny to his kids. "Doubtfire" is a new comedic classic with the funniness and sweetness to calm any cold symptoms.

5) "The Lord of the Rings"/ "Star Wars"/"Harry Potter" series What's better when you're sick than finding a way to waste more than 10 hours without having to switch plots? Watching a film series is one of the best ways to ensure that you'll like the characters in a film and be able to fill up a whole day of boredom without having to exert yourself by learning many new faces. Everyone has his favorite film series - "The Lord of the Rings," "Star Wars" and "Harry Potter" are among the top picks. Their specific magical and extraterrestrial plotlines transport us from our sickly and mundane dorm rooms and apartments to the respective worlds of Middle-Earth, Hoth and the Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.

4) "Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy" Often when we're sick, rather than watching a movie that runs us through a myriad of emotions, we just need to pop in a film that won't make us think at all. "Anchorman" is the perfect answer to that proposition. It is ridiculous, outrageous but most importantly, hilarious. The plotline is simple, so you won't have any issues keeping up while simultaneously zoning out on a combination of antibiotics and Dayquil. Will Ferrell is at his most Will Ferrell-y with the comedic chops of a fantastic supporting cast to balance his complete insanity. The only downside to watching "Anchorman" on a sick day is that you'll annoy your healthier friends with your incessant line recitations as you shout, "Milk was a bad choice!" while downing a glass.

3) Muppet movies The Muppets hold enough childhood wonder and adult jokes to keep viewers of any age entertained. Always chock-full of celebrity cameos, the Muppets rely on both the popular recognition of their co-stars and the familiarity of their own felt-designed faces to draw in audiences nationwide. Watching a Muppets movie is like coming home and seeing all the people you've grown up with. While you're stuck in your room, the Muppets can take you to space, a treasure island, on a caper or even back in time to celebrate a classic Christmas carol. Kermit rocks and everyone knows it.

2) Any musical-oriented Disney 2-D movie before 2001 Everybody look left. Everybody look right. Everywhere you look, there's an awesome Disney 2-D movie to hoarsely sing along with and unabashedly cry to when you're ill. The list of these movies is seemingly never-ending - "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs," "Pinocchio," "The Jungle Book," "Beauty and the Beast," "The Little Mermaid," "The Lion King," "Aladdin," - your choices are unlimited. Disney has a habit of making films with absentee (or horribly killed) mothers while providing musical numbers that everyone seems to have memorized. You'll belt classics like "I Just Can't Wait To Be King" without shame but subtly lift the covers to your eyes and sob when (spoiler!) Mufasa falls to his death.

1) Oprah So Oprah is not a movie, but she is a movement. No matter what we're watching on our day off, at 4 p.m. we push pause and switch to ABC to watch the Queen Bee do what she does best - put her audience on an emotional rollercoaster. Any day, O will cover what healthy poop is supposed to look like, give away cars or tell the heart-wrenching story of a social worker killed in a natural disaster. Oprah will distract you from sickness as you switch from using tissues for your cold to using them to dab at your eyes while sobbing in sympathy for people overcoming unbearable adversities. Oprah is the queen of the world and our surrogate mother while we're away from family - a virtual cup of soup in television form.