Tuesday, Oct. 22, 2024

Campus brief

CAS student wins environmental scholarship

Julie Munro, a junior and environmental studies major in the College of Arts and Sciences, won a 2009 Morris K. Udall Scholarship.

Munro is the current president and treasurer of AU's Eco-Sense club and a student representative for environmental issues to the University Council and AU Dining Services Project Team.

She is one of 80 college sophomores and juniors to receive the annual merit award. The $5,000 scholarship is awarded to students committed to the environment, Native American health care or tribal public policy. Candidates are selected based on their leadership potential in environmental areas such as policy, science, education, business and economics.

Munro is an honors student with straight As and a commitment to sustainability and food security. Her interest in providing locally-grown, sustainable food through community networks began with an internship at Southside Community Land Trust in Providence, R.I.

Munro is the eighth AU student to receive the Udall scholarship since 2000.

-LINDSEY ANDERSON