Tuesday, Oct. 22, 2024

Teen birth rate continues to rise

The national teenage birthrate has increased for the second year in a row following a previous 14-year trend of steady decreases.

The rate at which unmarried women who gave birth rose by seven percent between 2006 and 2007, according to the Centers for Disease Control National Center for Health Statistics. The same report showed Texas, New Mexico and Mississippi - all states that traditionally vote conservatively - had the three highest number of teen birth rates. In Mississippi, there were 68.4 births for every 1,000 girls aged 15-19. The report did not cover how many pregnancies were terminated.

The consensus among many experts is that nobody is certain as to what is causing the sudden rise in unplanned pregnancies, although authorities on both ends of the ideological divide have voiced their opinions.

"With any kind of contraceptive there's a risk involved," Karin Thornton, AU's associate Catholic chaplain, said in response to the report. The Roman Catholic Church and the federal government both advocate for abstinence-only programs. Under President Barack Obama, the programs could receive significant funding cuts, according to The Washington Post.

Critics of these programs argue that abstinence-only programs do not always provide a complete and effective education.

"I think it's pretty clear from a number of independent research studies that abstinence-only education is not particularly helpful to students," said Women's Initiative Director Ashley Evans.

Evans said that although she supports a person's right to abstain, she also emphasized the need to get all the information.

"'Abstinence-plus' programs would be a more comprehensive solution," she said.

While she said she supports a complete education, Thornton said she did not know about other programs outside of her area.

"I don't know the matter of the education is because I haven't listened to their particular plan," Thornton said.

Evans and Thornton chose not to comment on the CDC's report, but were happy to share their views on the general topic.

Parents have a role in their children's actions, said Rebecca Hsieh, a graduate student in the School of Public Affairs' Justice, Law and Society program.

"I feel that's where parents really need to intervene and talk with their kids and realize what they're going through because it's ultimately the kid's decision," she said.

Women's Initiative will host "I Heart the Female Orgasm," a sex-education presentation put on by authors Dorian Solot and Marshall Miller, on April 24.

While the program is part of a national movement, Evans said she encourages men to attend, calling the event "the climax of the year."

You can reach this writer at news@theeagleonline.com.