Tuesday, Oct. 22, 2024

Getting to know: Andy MacCracken

SG prez makes plans for AU

If Andy MacCracken, a junior in the School of Public Affairs, were president of the United States, he would enjoy having his own airplane.

"I'd try to be out and about as much as possible, actually meeting with people around the country," MacCracken said. "Policy wise, there's too much going on in the country to pick any one thing I'd do. I'll leave all that to the experts."

But as AU Student Government president, MacCracken knows what he would like to change about the university.

"Year after year AU is ranked one of the most politically active campuses in the country," MacCracken said. "I'd like to see that kind of engagement on campus issues. There are a lot of things going on that more students should and would like to have a say about."

The SG president is planning to complete the five-year B.A./M.A. program in public policy. He figures the extra year of school will be helpful in the struggling economy, he said.

What exactly I do from there, I'm not sure," he said.

MacCracken would like to be in the sphere of public policy decision making, whether it is with an non-governmental agency, the government or something else, he said. He does not have a preference, but is most interested in health and education policy, he said.

But if he could do absolutely anything, MacCracken would go into space, he said.

"But it turns out I'm terrible at astrophysics, and I'm also not a billionaire," he said. "I don't see that happening anytime soon."

You can reach this staff writer at landerson@theeagleonline.com.

(SIDEBAR) More About Andy

Major: 5-year B.A./M.A. program in Political Science concentrating in public policy

Hometown: Aspen, Colo.

Activities outside of SG: AU's all-male a cappella group On a Sensual Note

What he does for fun: "I like to go to baseball games. It's convenient having the Nationals as the hometown team because the tickets are always cheap!"

Odd habits: "I sing under my breath a lot. Usually it's the same line of a song over and over because I'm bad at remembering lyrics. It drives people crazy."

His anytime food: "Pasta's always a winner, but it's really more of a dinner food. I'd eat a bagel with lox and cream cheese anytime for any meal"