Saturday, Oct. 19, 2024

AU wins D.C. College Cup

Daniel Shannon led the AU men's soccer team to a 2-1 win over No. 19 George Mason University Sept. 5. The win, coupled with the Eagles' 2-0 win over George Washington on Wednesday, gave them their 5th D.C. College Cup Championship in the events nine-year history.

"The team played outstanding and we created several scoring opportunities," AU Head Coach Todd West told AU Athletics. "I'm very proud of my team's performance in the D.C. College Cup."

Shannon, a junior at AU, had the team's first goal in the 23rd minute. Sophomore Jack Scott assisted it; he slipped a shot past GMU's keeper. The goal was Shannon's first of the season and seventh of his career.

The Eagles controlled the ball through the remainder of the first half and well into the second. After an initial shot by AU's David Menzie, Shannon knocked another goal in rebound past Mason's goalkeeper Sean Kelley to make it 2-0.

George Mason, ranked 19th in the country, got on the board shortly after AU's second goal. GMU forward Draymond Washington responded in the 87th minute with their first goal of the match. Though their lead had been halved, the Eagles were able to close out the final minutes and earn a 2-1 victory.

AU and George Mason fired off 15 shots each in the match, though the Eagles held a 7-6 advantage in shots on goal. One goal aside, AU goalie Matt Makowski had a strong showing with five saves. Junior Nick Kapus and senior Luis Martinez also played well, each with a game-high four shots.

Shannon was named the Most Valuable Player of the D.C. College Cup with two goals against George Mason and was named to the All-Tournament Team, along with seniors Cooper Bryant, Martinez and Menzie.

AU plays their home opener against Princeton on Sept. 11 at 3 p.m.

You can reach this writer at sports@theeagleonline.com.