Saturday, Sept. 21, 2024

‘FittenTrim’ miss mark with ‘Geek Rock’ genre

Ladyhawke “Ladyhawke” Grade: B (Island) Sounds like: A blend of The Sounds and The Raveonettes, with an edgy New Zealand flare

It is clear that Ladyhawke wants to bring the ‘80s back. The 30-year-old singer from New Zealand has come out with an album that is reminiscent of vintage techno. Ladyhawke’s deep, smooth voice, layered over synths and techno rhythms, is unique. Her voice is distinctive, but certainly no powerhouse in comparison to her predecessors Annie Lennox or Cyndi Lauper. Her music is something different; it puts a modern twist on a difficult genre. 

Many of the songs start off slowly, with moody guitar riffs, building up to complicated tunes rife with drumbeats and synthesizers. As a result, there are very few standout songs on the album, as many of them simply blend into the next. One of the few songs that is memorable is “My Delirium,” a fun track with many layers, catchy lyrics and breathy vocals that sound like a soft Joan Jett. One song that also stood out is “Paris Is Burning.” It sounds somewhat like “Cars” by Gary Numan, but quickly evolves into something more modern. It is dedicated to wild nights in Paris, with Ladyhawke singing, “My heart is yearning/Paris is burning/My heart is dreaming/Paris is screaming.”

One of the surprises on this album is the stripped down, classical version of “My Delirium,” complete with violin and piano. Another great slow song is “Love Don’t Live Here,” which has a grungier sound than the other songs, starting off with a rock and roll vibe before mellowing out into a simple, synth-laden ballad. 

This album is not anything truly spectacular; it’s a techno album in the simplest sense and has few quality songs. However, those few songs that do stand out show Ladyhawke’s potential and creativity. Hopefully, she will deliver more of that on her next album. -HAELY JARDAS

FittenTrim “Geek Rock: For Geeks Who Like Rock” Grade: C- (Caveat Emptor Records) Sounds like: Weezer undergoing an early mid-life crisis

If his new album is any indication, it’s safe to say that FittenTrim aren’t ashamed of the geek label. The aptly titled, “Geek Rock: For Geeks Who Like Rock,” is a celebration of geekdom on 19 short tracks. It was conceived as a side project from band member Fitten’s and Pelham’s Atlanta-based indie band, Trenchcoat Club, with songs recorded in Fitten’s bedroom using a midi-keyboard and cheap guitar. While the album achieves everything the cover art and title advertises it to be, the quality of the songs leave much to be desired.

The album has all of the dorky trappings of early Weezer, when frontman Rivers Cuomo hadn’t yet acclimated to fame and was still modestly shy. Except with Cuomo, the “geekiness” was something that made him endearing, the kind of guy who unintentionally made it cool to be uncool. In that respect, FittenTrim can be characterized as the geek in need of a reality check.

Tracks like “Pissed-Off Bon Jovi Cover Band” and “Shake Yo Ass [File Under: Garage Rock]” are indicative of the fake bravado and in-joke humor that makes this album hit-or-miss. The songs themselves alternate from discordant and loud to off-key and dull. While weepy lyrics of rejection are nothing new to the alternative-geek rock genre, there are only so many times one can hear “I need a girlfriend” before it gets tiring.

Necessity would have it that this album has very selective appeal, if the title wasn’t a dead giveaway. There’s always that lingering possibility that everything wrong with this album was done with the intent of evoking that geek camaraderie. But at this point, it’s hard to say if even the most closeted of nerds will find any enjoyment from this endeavor. -STEPHEN CHO

Lacuna Coil Single: “I Won’t Tell You” Grade: B+ (Century Media) Sounds Like: Coheed and Cambria, a little bit of Kings of Leon and a taste of ‘80s female vocal flare

The little gothic rock band from Italy, Lacuna Coil, will soon be releasing their new single, “I Won’t Tell You,” as a follow up to their top 25 single “Spellbound.” If you’re not familiar with Lacuna Coil and you’re a fan of alternative rock that rocks a little harder, you should look these guys up. “I Won’t Tell You” has a fast beat and quick guitar parts that give an eerie effect to the slow vocals of Cristina Scabbia, Lacuna’s female lead. The interesting part about Lacuna Coil is that they have both a female and a male vocalist who switch off on lead vocals, then go on to do some harmonies that give the song a great effect and greater dimension. Even though Lacuna Coil is heavily influenced by gothic rock, this isn’t the type of band that you have to don a completely black outfit with a studded belt to enjoy. Look for this new single, hitting the mainstream on Oct. 6. -H.J.