This year's US Open a must-watch

The only surprise about this year's US Open is the lack of storylines.

Despite Marat Safin's early curtain call, all of this year's contenders have passed the first round making for another exciting week of tennis in New York City this summer.

With a resurgent Roger Federer, an inspired Andy Murray and a rested Rafael Nadal, the men's field is wide open for the taking. Andy Roddick, who has dominated the US Open in the past, cannot be counted out to make another run at the finals.

Fast hardcourt conditions will give a large advantage to big-serve players, such as Roddick and 21 year-old Sam Querrey, an American dark horse, who won this year's US Open Series.

Whether Rafael Nadal's knee can take the impact of so many three-plus set matches, remains to be seen. After admitting he was not at full strength, Nadal is out to prove his critics and himself wrong.

With other Association of Tennis Professionals regulars like Nickolay Davedenko and Juan Martin Del Potro in the mix, this years draw could feature some very prominent quarter and semifinal matchups.

Look for Roddick to knock-off Federer in a rematch of this year's epic Wimbeldon finals in the top bracket. In the bottom, a streaking Del Porto has the chance to upset an unconditioned Nadal in the semifinals.

Should Roddick and Del Potro meet in the finals, look for the 2003 US Open Champion Roddick to take the trophy in front of a supportive NYC crowd.

You can reach this staff writer at sports@theeagleonline.com.