Saturday, Sept. 21, 2024

Fans’ wishes come true with ‘11:11’

The things that Rodrigo y Gabriela do to their guitars is simply mind-blowing. Their rhythm is absolutely enchanting, and you will be hooked after just one listen. The Mexican acoustic rock duo, made up of Rodrigo Sanchez and Gabriela Quintero, perfectly marry classical guitar with a modern Latino flair.

Although there are only two guitarists, they sound like an army, strumming powerfully on their guitars. They are impossibly fast and completely irresistible. What’s strange is that they started off as a heavy metal band.

To this day, the pair cites Metallica, Megadeth and other heavy metal bands as their influences, even doing covers of songs like Led Zeppelin’s “Stairway to Heaven” and Metallica’s “Orion.” But in modern Rodrigo y Gabriela fashion, the songs have been recreated to emanate a romantic acoustic sound, rather than intense heavy metal. Plus, the fact that they don’t sing makes the music more powerful — their romantic and heart racing strumming does more for the listener than words ever could. With music like this, who needs lyrics?

Their latest release, “11:11,” is homage to all those musicians who have inspired them up to this point. It is the duo’s third studio album, and each song is dedicated to a musician that has influenced each member in one way or another.

“Hanuman” is dedicated to Carlos Santana, while “Buster Voodoo” is dedicated to the inimitable Jimi Hendrix. Staying true to their metal roots, “Atman” is dedicated to the legendary Dimebag Darrell, of heavy metal band Pantera.

The album’s title song, “11:11,” is a dedication to psychedelic rockers Pink Floyd. Some of the songs are dedicated to more eccentric musicians, such as Astor Piazzolla, the late Argentine tango composer and player of the bandoneon, an instrument similar to an accordion.

The album is jammed with rhythmic guitars. The sound is sultry, yet intense, promptly sweeping the listener off their feet. Some songs rock out with full-on electric guitar, but most stay acoustic. It is what Hendrix would do if he was Latino and had the patience for acoustic guitars.

Rodrigo y Gabriela play fast, strumming up and down the necks of their guitar so quickly that all you see is a flurry of hands, but what you hear is pure magic. And they don’t just strum their guitars; they pick the strings, they slam the sides, and Gabriela raps out a beat on the body so fast, she might as well be on a drum kit. Every noise that a guitar can make has been charmed out by Rodrigo y Gabriela, making for quite the multi-faceted performance.

Although they have stuck with an independent recording label, they have achieved a cult fanbase in America thanks to the publicity machine that is MTV. They were the feature artists of the month, and with that came a slew of new fans, young and old.

And it’s not just the music that is captivating. Watching Rodrigo and Gabriela play their music is a whole other experience. Their passion is reminiscent of, say, Carlos Santana at Woodstock. They close their eyes, throw their heads back and stomp their feet, and you can’t help but appreciate their intensity and talent. It’s clear why the two have sold out concerts and topped music charts worldwide.

Their first tour was as support for Muse, but now they are going out on their own on a worldwide tour. But you better hurry if you want tickets — the two sell shows fast, and for good reason. The next place you can catch them is Oct. 24 in Baltimore.

While Rodrigo y Gabriela have never confirmed whether or not they are a couple, one thing is certain — they make sweet music together.

You can reach this staff writer at ydesta@theeagleonline.com.