LOOKING UP — Junior forward Mike Worden goes up for a ball in a home match this season. AU has been on a roll going 7-0-2 in their last nine games. They will look to remain perfect in the Patriot League with a match against the Holy Cross University Crusaders. The Eagles are 5-1-1 on the road and 9-3-2 on the season overall.

Men’s soccer triumphs 3-1 over Georgetown

The AU men’s soccer team is now unbeaten in its last nine matches, as it grinded out a 3-1 win on the road against Georgetown Wednesday afternoon.

Their victory over the Hoyas got AU back on the winning track, as their last match ended in a tie against Lehigh last Saturday. The first goal was scored by Georgetown, but that was the only blemish on AU’s record. They would score three unanswered goals to take the lead and the win.

Georgetown’s Jimmy Nealis scored the first goal of the match in the 19th win, giving the Hoyas a 1-0 advantage. The goal was AU’s first goal allowed in two matches. Despite the Hoyas’ fast play and intensity, AU came back strong, seeming to be energized by the fact that they were down. AU’s offense would dominate the play from that point on.

The Eagles got on the board with a goal by senior Karsten Smith, who headed the ball on a corner kick from senior Cameron Petty. Smith, who was named to the All-Patriot League First Team last year, recorded his second goal of the season. The goal tied the score at one in the 28th minute. Petty got his second assist of the year.

They took the lead four minutes later from a goal scored by junior Mike Worden from another crossing pass, this time by senior Nidhal Charfi, who had a career day. Charfi’s pass to Worden led to a breakaway goal and a 2-1 AU lead. Worden recorded his fourth goal of the season, a career high, which ties him for the most on the team with fellow junior Daniel Shannon. After the tally, Worden trails only Shannon for the team lead in points with nine.

Charfi scored the third and final goal in the 54th minute, assisted by Shannon and junior David Menzie. Shannon recorded his fifth assist of the year, which added to his team-leading 13 points on the season.

As a freshman, Shannon also led the team in goals and points. Menzie recorded his fourth assist, trailing only Shannon in that category for the team lead and now has eight points, third on the team behind Shannon and Worden. Menzie finished second on the team last year in points, with eight. Despite AU’s top point leaders netting most of the production, the story of the day was Charfi.

The senior, who transferred from the University of Florida last year and played in ten games last year, had his career day at AU. With a three-point day, Charfi is fourth on the team for the lead in points with seven. He recorded his second goal and third assist on the season. Charfi’s spark off the bench provided a pleasant surprise for the AU club. He was integral part of getting AU their ninth win of the season.

“It was a great performance, especially going down 1-0 to a very good team on the road,” Head Coach Todd West said. “[We fought] back in a battle and ended up winning a very big game, that was a huge win on the road.”

AU is now 9-3-2 on the season overall and 5-1-1 on the road. In their last nine games AU has not lost recording seven wins and two ties. The Eagles have outscored opponents 17-5 during that stretch.

AU continues their season against Holy Cross on Saturday, resuming conference play looking to stay undefeated.

You can reach this writer at sports@theeagleonline.com.