Tuesday, Oct. 22, 2024
WIDE-AWAKE — Students stayed up all night in Bender Arena Tuesday to raise money for St. Jude Research Hospital. Participants ate free food, played games and contacted family members for donations. The event at AU was part of a national fundraiser for childhood cancer research.

Sleepless for St. Jude

Many AU students pulled an all-nighter on Oct. 2, and no, it was not time for final exams or the day before a large paper was due. Rather, the students sacrificed their sleep to fundraise and garner support for St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital.

AU is just one campus among many universities across the nation to host the event to raise money to find a cure for childhood cancer.

What started as a small event at the University of Memphis has blossomed into a program across the United States as a powerful fundraising program. “Up ‘til Dawn” aims to benefit St. Jude’s, a hospital and research center that provides care to all sick children regardless of financial means. Late entertainer Danny Thomas founded the facility, which does not charge families for procedures that reach beyond insurance coverage.

St. Jude’s is now known as a pioneer in the advancement of medical treatments for children suffering from cancer.

Even more notable is the opportunity given to sick children who otherwise would not have been treated due to finances, according to the hospital’s Web site. The ability to accept these children hinges on financial support from the public, hence the creation of the “Up ‘til Dawn” club chapters across the America.

“St. Jude’s is a great cause,” said Sarah Scheffer, a sophomore in the College of Arts and Sciences. “Nothing is worse than a terminally ill kid. You can’t help but feel for them. St. Jude’s makes it [a little easier], not having to worry about meds or treatments.”

For six months, AU’s “Up ‘til Dawn” organization has raised money for the hospital, culminating in the all-night party in Bender Arena. Students gathered to address pre-written letters to family, friends and teachers asking for donations in return for St. Jude’s programs against childhood cancer.

Carnival games, food and chances to win prizes such as a Nintendo Wii were the main attractions for the festivities, aptly given the motto “Up ‘til Dawn, fight the yawn.” A large, patriotic colored jousting arena was set up in the middle of the gym, where students could don protective gear and spar their friends. Also in Bender was a large Rockband set and a raffle.

Most of the event’s attendees were from sororities and fraternities, with Alpha Phi Omega as the most prevalent.

APO member Lauren Gardner, a sophomore in the School of Communication, said she liked the event as she popped popcorn and handed out free RedBull energy drinks.

“It’s mainly greeks, but there are performances by all the A cappella groups and dancers,” she said.

“It’s an awesome way to help these suffering children, and for us to have a good time,” said Sarah Davey, a freshman in the School of Public Affairs. “What can be better?”

You can reach this writer at news@theeagleonline.com.