Saturday, Sept. 21, 2024

Brit rockers cut ‘monkey’ business out

They’re loud, they’re English and they rock hard. They are Sheffield, England’s finest: the Arctic Monkeys.

If you don’t know who they are, it’s about time you got caught up.

In 2006, four lads by the names of Alex Turner, Matt Helders, Jamie Cook and Andy Nicholson came out with their first album, “Whatever People Say I Am, That’s What I’m Not.” The album’s release was followed by two Grammy nominations, record-breaking sales of 363,735 copies worldwide in one week and a reputation as alterna-rock’s next big thing.

With Turner’s poetic lyrics, Cook’s riff-heavy guitar playing, Helder’s smashing drums and new bassist Nick O’Malley’s relentless groove, the indie alt-rock band has become one of the biggest names in England, all while staying true to their indie roots.

Now, two albums, millions of copies and a bunch of awards later, the Arctic Monkeys are at it again with their latest release, “Humbug.” Written by Turner and co-produced by Josh Homme (Queens of the Stone Age), “Humbug” is a decided step away from the previous material that the band has produced. It is darker, edgier and far more haunting than anything fans thought the Arctic Monkeys were capable of producing.

The band flew out from their native England all the way to the Mojave Desert to write and get a new sound and feeling for this album. The new setting worked, as evident by the fantastical lyrics, Western-vibe melodies and hushed vocals produced by Turner.

It has a depth that critics have never seen before, as Turner’s lyrics are usually playful and sarcastic and quite reflective of the debauchery going on around him.

With new lyrics like, “Fiendish wonder in a carnival’s wake/Old caresses once again irritate/Tread softly stranger/Move over towards the danger that you seek,” it is evident that there is more of a poet in Turner than suspected before.

This is not to say that the Arctic Monkeys have completely forsaken the sound that they are known for. Playful and kitschy songs like “Sketchhead” and “Dangerous Animals” reflect their earlier sound, with only a hint of darkness and foreboding.

“Humbug” is a mix of classic indie rock and psychedelic rock similar to Jimi Hendrix or even Cream. The sound is haunting and enigmatic, but the songs are fast and riff-heavy, in true Arctic Monkeys style. For dedicated fans, it is a chance to see their growth as a band and to see just how far their brand will stretch.

Considering that it is their first album in two years, fans were eager to get their hands on whatever they sent out. As a result, “Humbug” has sold over 100,000 records already with the numbers sure to climb higher. The first single off the track is “Crying Lightning,” with the music video featuring all four members sailing on a boat, playing their instruments, surrounded by turbulent waters and trippy colored skies.

The second single off the track, the romantic “Cornerstone” has been released as well, along with its music video. It features Turner, alone against a white backdrop singing the song while being creepy, nerdy and hilarious all at the same time. It showcases the way that the Arctic Monkeys balance their sense of humor and their reputation as a serious rock band.

Since the release of their album, the Arctic Monkeys have embarked on a huge tour and have already made stops in Europe and America. However, the tour should continue into 2010, with the band performing all over the world. If you want to see them, they’ll be at 9:30 club on Dec. 8, but hurry because tickets are selling out fast.

You can reach this staff writer at ydesta@theeagleonline.com.