Saturday, Sept. 21, 2024
YOUNG  MONEY — In a documentary following a nationwide competition, underprivileged youths strive to create a winning business plan for the grand prize of $10,000. “Ten9Eight” chronicles the stories of participants in the annual Network for Teaching Entrepreneurship’s business plan competition, with entries ranging from custom guitars to organic body products to programs for teaching sign lanugage.

Competition makes youths count

Documentary follows teen entrepreneurs

Ten9Eight GRADE: C Creating an original film about underprivileged youths pulling themselves up by their bootstraps would obviously prove to be a challenge. Then add a national business plan competition with a first place prize of $10,000. Now there is a recipe for something fresh. 

Still, “Ten9Eight: Shoot for the Moon” missed the mark and ended up “too good to be true.” What could have been a glimpse into the lives of these courageous, smart and interestingly dynamic youths was formed into a “one-size-fits-all” glorification of the program.

For six months, director Mary Mazzio documented the lives of a handful of money-minded youths from around the country as they prepared for a business entrepreneurship program. From Chicago to Atlanta, Los Angeles to Boston and locations in between, these students revealed their ingenious small business ideas and the adversity they overcame to get to where they are. 

The program featured is the annual Network for Teaching Entrepreneurship’s (NTFE) business plan competition, which is meant to inspire young men and women to create a product or service along with a full business plan and presentation. The students had to present their product or service as if they were vying for investors. Individuals had to employ various skills including math, critical thinking and clear and effective writing in answering tough questions after their presentations from a panel of judges. 

The film begins with staggering nationwide high school dropout rates and segues into the NTFE program that keeps potential dropouts in school, while engaging them in an opportunity that can push them toward success later in life. 

Throughout the film, various youths who have won their regional competitions and are preparing to move onto the national level are introduced. Their ideas ranged from original guitars to organic body products to custom cheerleading uniforms.  

Each business venture seems to be completely different from the next, yet all the interviews seem vaguely familiar. Most of the contestants and their parents are answering the same questions, which may have made editing easier, but doesn’t help to make the final product any more interesting. 

In what seems like an effort to create inspirational, “can-do” advertising for free enterprise, Mazzio neglects to highlight the differences between contenders. The young man who ingeniously incorporated technology used for polarized sunglasses into football helmets was beat out by the vegetarian doggie treats, yet Mazzio still presents it as “everyone wins” — but this is not the case.

This film would’ve been great had Mazzio carried over the truthful and dynamic qualities that were such a big part of each youth’s background story. Anne — the young woman who was molested by her grandfather — created a dance company; Robbie Martin — the hysterical young deaf boy — created a program for teaching sign language; and Shan Shan — an immigrant’s daughter whose father passed away — brilliantly developed a three-minute cell phone battery charger. 

Mazzio did highlight an important similarity: that these young people overcame obstacles in their past and have achieved greatness. Even if they didn’t win the competition, these youths are heroic and are continuing to prove certain people (and statistics) wrong. 

“Ten9Eight” ends by concluding that everyone is a winner. While not every contestant was able to take home $10,000, they did manage to take away a few valuable life lessons — not to mention their business is now spotlighted in a feature-length film. With that going for them, what reason would they have not to continue living their dreams?

You can reach this writer at thescene@theeagleonline.com.