Saturday, Sept. 21, 2024

Debut author shows promise, lacks clarity

In Joseph Riippi’s first novel “Do Something,” three characters struggle to find truth and happiness in their own dark cave of reality.

Like in Plato’s “Allegory of the Cave,” reality is an individual realization and must be experienced by doing something. The way Riippi partitions the book, rotating in literary style and voice between three characters — an institutionalized literary critic, a rape victim and a playwright — makes his novel a quick and easy read.

The book does not have much of a plot. Instead, the characters are waiting for some kind of unattainable happiness in their reality; it is a reflection of past events and an existential journey for something different and happy in their lives.

One of the most confusing parts of this novel is that the setting constantly changes. Not only do the three characters live in different cities, but individually, they are constantly changing locations. The character most defined by this constant motion is a rape victim whose defining mark and only permanent thing in her life is a starfish tattoo. She is also the strongest character and the one who, despite her difficulties and changing locations, has the most mature view of life. As a result, she tries to provide aid for her mentally-distressed stepbrother, Eddie. Eddie is the most undefined character in the novel. Riippi uses excerpts from a series of notebooks to display Eddie, but these notebooks are filled with quotations from philosophers and random imagery, not any substantial plot or personal realizations. This differs from the defined Martin, a playwright moving to Seattle. Martin is a floundering character; every time he makes a move to gain happiness in his life, he is met with an obstacle. What connects all of these characters is at times hard to see, but they all struggle for the same basic human principle of happiness in an age where it is hard to obtain.

Riippi uses the philosophies of Tolstoy, Nietzsche and Plato, even quoting these men directly. He takes their thoughts, but puts an emphasis on current issues facing the modern world. The characters are not shaped by these modern issues but, living in a world full of fear, confusion and doubt, make their struggle for inner truth even harder to come by. Modern issues such as 9/11 and Obama’s presidency are referenced.

For the characters in Riippi’s novel, Obama’s election represents hope, and “hope is the only thing that makes us do anything, and doing something is the only way to happiness.” Riippi has a talent expressing deep relatable thoughts — some of which leave chills because they are so true — but his dialogue lacks this truth and effect. It is forced and unrefined, making the characters less relatable and more like mirages of human nature.

The young, independent publishing company, Ampersand Books, published its first novel by this young, independent author Riippi, but his inexperience shows. “Do Something” is like a piece from a college literary journal, with unprocessed thoughts and undeveloped characters. Riippi has the qualities and techniques that it takes to be a great writer, but he still has maturing to do.

During a reading at Busboys and Poets, Riippi struggled to explain his motivation or inspiration for his novel. Like a good writer, Riippi allowed the book to write itself, but he still seemed to be searching for why and what happened.

“Do Something” is a great Metro read that is captivating and entertaining, but it leaves one with a feeling that there needs to be more — like the title itself, this book needs to “do something” more.

You can reach this writer at thescene@theeagleonline.com.