Saturday, Sept. 21, 2024
TOO MANY CHEFS — The Woolly Mammoth Theatre Company’s latest on-stage production, Charles L. Mee’s “Full Circle,” will continue through Nov. 29. The show takes advantage of the entire venue as the cast take their act in a circle around the audience.

Duo complete ‘full circle’

The Woolly Mammoth Theatre Company is known for their innovative and provocative plays, and they certainly haven’t disappointed anyone with their latest production, “Full Circle.” The play is both thought-provoking and captivating, keeping the audience on their feet throughout the performance. The whole facility becomes the stage, making the audience a part of the play. As they travel with the actors throughout the building, the show ends up coming full circle back to the stage.

Playwright Charles L. Mee re-imagined the Chinese myth of the chalk circle for this play. “Full Circle” takes place in Berlin in 1989 during the fall of the Berlin Wall, as communism was deteriorating and capitalism was moving in. The audience watches as students riot at the wall, two women flee to save an abandoned baby and many wonder if there is a third choice besides communism and capitalism.

Naomi Jacobson gives a great performance as Pamela, the New York socialite. Additionally, Jessica Frances Dukes is captivating in her role as Dulle Griet. It is always a delight to watch Jacobson and Dukes on stage together because of their outstanding chemistry and their ability to play well off of each other. The other members of the cast were also excellent; none of the performers were anywhere near disappointing. It was amazing to see the cast act around the audience and use the entire Woolly Mammoth facility in such a unique way.

The costumes were simple yet they reflected the time period well. The set made the audience feel as if they were traveling on a journey throughout the play. It helped to engage theatergoers because the action was always happening in different parts of the building. The idea of using the whole facility was very fitting for “Full Circle” because it told the story of a journey — by having the audience travel, it made the voyage even more entertaining.

Howard Shalwitz, the artistic director of the play, also put on a remarkable performance as German dramatist Heiner Muller. Shalwitz embodied the part, drawing the audience in during his monologue. Shalwitz said it is especially important for students to come see “Full Circle” because they, in particular, will enjoy it and the message is very significant for them.

“Full Circle” runs through Nov. 29. Woolly’s “25 and Under” program offers $15 tickets with a valid ID. The Woolly Mammoth Theatre Company is located at 641 D St., N.W. (For more information on tickets or the unconventional seating, call 202-393-3939 or visit http://www.woollymammoth.net.)

You can reach this writer at thescene@theeagleonline.com.