Saturday, Oct. 19, 2024

Mens soccer falls to Holy Cross 2-0

The AU men’s soccer team suffered its first loss in Patriot League play this weekend, losing to Holy Cross 2-0. The loss breaks a nine game winning streak by AU and puts the team 2nd in the Patriot League behind Bucknell University.

Coming off a convincing 3-1 victory against crosstown rival Georgetown, AU was looking to get out to a quick start against the Crusaders of Holy Cross.

However, the game was widely bogged down at midfield for the duration of the first half and neither team was able to create many dangerous opportunities. AU and Holy Cross registered two corner kicks apiece, and the Crusaders out-shot the Eagles 5-3 in the first half.

The second half was not much different, with possession and scoring chances sporadic for both teams. But with 10 minutes remaining, Holy Cross defender Tom Van Grinsven turned a penalty kick into an unassisted goal and put the Crusaders up 1-0. AU battled back but was unable to stop the relentless Holy Cross attack, as Crusader Pat McCann crossed the ball to forward Kyle Miller for yet another goal. The Eagles could not manufacture any goals in the closing minutes and left Worcester disappointed.

The loss puts AU at 9-4-2 on the season and was their first loss in the previous 10 games, dating all the way back to Sept. 19 against William and Mary. Junior Daniel Shannon had a productive outing, registering six shots against the Crusaders, but only one went in for a goal. Goalkeeper Matt Makowski had five saves coming off his Patriot League Goalie of the Week honors earlier in October.

Remarkably, the shot discrepancy between the two teams was minute, as the Crusaders registered only two more shots than AU. Unfortunately for AU, Holy Cross destroyed the Eagles in terms of shots on goal, ending the match with a 7-1 advantage in this category. This shows that AU is having no problem penetrating opponents’ territory, but accuracy on shots may be a mild concern.

The loss, while a small blow to the Eagles, is far from detrimental. AU has two difficult yet winnable games in the upcoming week against No. 10 Virginia and Patriot League foe Colgate. A win at home against the Raiders, coupled with a Bucknell loss or tie versus Lehigh, would put AU in first place heading into the Patriot League tournament.

The Eagles will attempt to upset the Cavaliers in Charlottesville this Tuesday, followed by a crucial game at home against Colgate next Saturday at 1 p.m.

You can reach this writer at sports@theeagleonline.com.