Saturday, Sept. 21, 2024
NUP_137372_0087

‘Parks’ hires freaks, geeks

Jones, Pratt bring comedy to ‘Recreation’

If anyone could turn the Parks and Recreation government department into the setting of a hysterical sitcom, it’s SNL alum, Amy Poehler. “Parks and Recreation” follows the life of Leslie Knope (played by Poehler), a Parks and Recreation deputy director in fictional Pawnee, Ind. Knope is a feminist, often citing Hillary Clinton and Madeline Albright as her heroes.

The show, written by Greg Daniels and Michael Schur ­— also creative writers for “The Office” — follows in the same mockumentary style as the popular sitcom, but has far different comedic style.

Chris Pratt, who plays the loveable but irresponsible Andy Dwyer, and Rashida Jones, who plays the sensible Ann Perkins, described its style in an interview with The Eagle.

“There’s not much to compare it to,” Pratt said. “There’s no laugh track, and Amy has different comedic sensibilities than Steve Carell. It’s not funny to watch her be uncomfortable like Carell, but it’s so goddamn endearing when she smiles.”

However, the characters on the show are far different from the people who actually portray them.

“I pull out certain elements of my own personality,” Jones said. “I’d like to think I’m not such a doormat. Honestly, I’d also like to think that everybody is a little bit cooler than their characters.”

For Pratt, it’s all about loosening up.

“I just allow the reasonable and sensible things to fall by the wayside,” Pratt said. “I got the idea that this guy was a total slacker and a musician. I stayed up all night drinking before the audition, then went into it hungover and sleepy and I got it — they thought I was great.”

For Jones, being on a television show, let alone a comedy, was quite random. As a Harvard graduate who studied religion and philosophy and daughter of music mogul Quincy Jones, Jones could have been anything she wanted. Acting just happened to be her calling.

“I did some theater early on and was smitten by it,” Jones said. “My first role was in ‘Freaks and Geeks’, and I loved it.”

For those who are doubtful of her comedic chops, Jones has also been in “The Office” and “I Love You, Man.”

“I love actresses like Goldie Hawn and Debra Winger; they create comedy in realistic elements,” Jones said. “My character is so naturalistic so I try to bring a depth to her because all the other characters are so crazy.”

For Pratt, acting comes naturally as well, especially comedy. Although his body of work may not show it — ranging from “Everwood” to “The O.C.” to “Jennifer’s Body” — Pratt is a natural comedian. (How else could he have landed leading funny lady, Anna Faris?)

“I was on ‘Everwood,’ which was a really dramatic TV show, and when I left, I left to do movies,” Pratt said. “But then ‘Parks and Recreation’ came along, and it was cooler than any movie I could have done.”

On the show, Pratt’s character lives in a pit outside the home of his ex-girlfriend (Jones), whom he still loves and obsesses over.

“I actually have to get in the pit a lot, but I’m game for that kind of stuff, like pratfalls,” Pratt said. “I’m lucky to do physical comedy with Amy’s over-the-top stuff. But that pit really is dirty and stinky.”

However, things are changing for both Pratt’s and Jones’ characters in the current season of “Parks and Recreation.”

“Now Andy’s found a job and he’s found a way out of the pit!” Pratt said. “I would be spoiling it if I said any more.” Jones laughed, chiming in about her and Pratt’s characters.

“I think maybe Anne and Andy might get back together, it’s not an impossibility,” Jones said. “I think that there’s more comedy when they’re apart, but it’s funny both ways.”

Although the critics were unsure at first, many now love the show and Jones and Pratt are both grateful.

“It takes time to settle into what characters are and what their comedic dynamics are,” Jones said about the show getting picked up. “I think it takes about 10 episodes. You watch early episodes of ‘Sex and the City’ or ‘Seinfeld’, and it’s nothing like what people love about it.”

Even though it started off being compared to “The Office,” “Parks and Recreation” has now become its own show with its own brand of humor. You can catch new episodes Thursdays at 8:30 p.m. on NBC.

You can reach this staff writer at ydesta@theeagleonline.com.