Tuesday, Oct. 22, 2024

Student Government vice president escapes censure

Lack of reports led to Prescott allegations

Vice President Alex Prescott was not censured despite his failing to provide written reports to the Undergraduate Senate, as is required to by the SG Bylaws.

Prescott had been unaware that he was required to provide a written report to the Senate in addition to the verbal reports he had been delivering. The other SG executives had been supplying both verbal and written reports.

After Prescott was confronted with allegations that he was not fulfilling his responsibilities, some senators considered bringing a motion to censure him.

During a meeting of the Committee of Campus Life and Programming, Prescott answered questions from various senators about his mistake. Prescott said he was simply unaware of the rule and that, though he was knowledgeable about the SG Bylaws, he was no expert.

“If someone had told me that I was supposed to submit reports I would have submitted them,” Prescott said.

After the meeting, Class of 2010 Sen. Steve Dalton said Prescott needed to take more responsibility for his actions.

“[Prescott] may not want the Senate to hold his hand, but given his defense ... it is apparent he wants the Senate to look both ways for him before telling him it’s OK to cross the street,” he said. “It’s not our job to tell him what his job is.”

However, no motion to censure Prescott was introduced at this Sunday’s meeting of the Senate.

Prescott submitted a report - his first of the year - to the Senate. In it, he apologized again for failing to report.

“It was a misunderstanding on my part, and I figured since I was appearing in front of the Senate every two weeks during the school year that this would suffice. I will not make the same mistake next semester,” he wrote.

You can reach this staff writer at cszold@theeagleonline.com.