Saturday, Sept. 21, 2024

Old favorites top Christmas list

“Songs For Christmas”

Sufjan Stevens

(Asthmatic Kitty Records)

Grade: A

Sounds like: Banjos wrapped in tinsel

The holiday season has arrived, beginning around-the-clock playing of “Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas,” “Jingle Bell Rock” and other Christmas standards on shopping mall PA systems and the radio.

Sufjan Stevens, banjo-virtuoso and critically-acclaimed songwriter, offers a fresh take on holiday classics as well as some new tunes with “Songs For Christmas,” a five-volume explosion of wintry cheer and exclamation marks.

Stevens covers Christmas classics like “Silent Night” and “Joy to the World” using unique arrangements and diverse instrumentation. Original songs on the album range from the silly “Come On! Let’s Boogey to the Elf Dance!” to the melancholy “That Was the Worst Christmas Ever!” which features gut-wrenching lyrics like “Our father yells, throwing the gifts in the wood stove.”

Indeed the best moments of the five albums are the personal story songs. “Sister Winter,” “Did I Make You Cry on Christmas Day? (Well, You Deserved It!)” and a handful of other songs cover lost friendships, broken relationships and family fights. The holidays aren’t always completely jolly, and it’s refreshing to hear Christmas songs with a touch of tragedy.

The albums, released as a set in 2006, feature 42 songs that were recorded over six years, beginning in 2001.

Fans of Stevens will hear his usual banjo strumming and haunting harmonies along with seasonal sleigh bells and electric guitars. Make no mistake, this a Christmas album. Stevens is no stranger to Christian themes in his music, but this genre transcending record is too beautiful to pass by, even if you don’t celebrate or even like Christmas.

The box set, which includes stickers, a family portrait and a songbook, is the perfect stocking stuffer for the music lover in your life.

— SARAH ANNE HUGHES

“Home for Christmas”

*NSYNC

(Jive Records)

Grade: A -

Sounds like: A talented version of the Backstreet Boys 

Released over a decade ago, this Christmas-themed album still proves to be a front-runner for choice holiday music. It is a magical mix of classic Christmas songs like “The Christmas Song (Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire)” and original songs like the title track “Home for Christmas.”

Melodic songs like “In Love on Christmas” and “Love’s In Our Hearts On Christmas Day” bring a softer, more romantic side to the album. “The First Noel” and an a capella version of “O Holy Night” have stunning vocal ranges that showcase the true musical talent of this group.

The classic holiday songs give this album merit to an older crowd, but it is the original tracks that make it stand out with a younger audience. “Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays” is a fun, upbeat song that brings a playful pop edge to an album of beautiful ballads.

The album ends with “Kiss Me At Midnight,” another high-energy original pop song that begins with the ritual New Year’s Eve countdown to midnight. This song is the perfect end to a Christmas album as it prepares the listener for the excitement of the New Year.

Ultimately, to truly enjoy this album, one must put aside preconceived notions of boy bands. This under-appreciated gem will give listeners new songs to fall in love with during the holiday season, as well as harmonious variations on the traditional ones.

— NATASHA CARLOS

“Sounds of the Season: The Taylor Swift Holiday Collection”

Taylor Swift

(Big Machine)

Grade: B+

Sounds like: Christmas but sweeter

Available on iTunes and at Target exclusively, “Sounds of the Season: The Taylor Swift Holiday Collection” has the pop-country princess re-imagining holiday classics and adding a few of her own.

The EP, first released in late 2007, features four covers and two original songs. Traditional Christmas favorites such as “Santa Baby,” first recorded in the early 1950s, are given the Taylor Swift treatment with some cheery vocals and country guitar sure to lighten up those dark December days.

The ‘80s vibe of the original Wham! classic “Last Christmas” is gone, and instead Swift’s voice shines through. The album slows down with a cover of “Silent Night,” with a clean, crisp sound reminiscent of the pure white snow we all wish would fall on Christmas (but rarely does).

Swift brings a childish, joyous sound to “White Christmas,” befitting of the song but not quite up to Bing Crosby standards. Swift’s original tracks are nice, yet predictable. “Christmases When You Were Mine” links Christmas with Taylor’s favorite topic, heartbreak. It’s a pretty ballad, but not exactly fit for the holidays. The other original, “Christmas Must Be Something More,” asks listeners to reflect on the origins of Christmas, on religion rather than the little traditions that have been built up over time. The sentiment is one that many share, but it doesn’t make for a holiday classic. However, for the Taylor Swift fans out there (and they are out there), this EP is sure to be a holiday favorite.

— MAGGIE HOLLANDER