Tuesday, Oct. 22, 2024

Administration mulls changes to shuttle Super Loop

The AU administration and the Student Government are working on changes to the Super Loop shuttle route in an effort to better serve AU students, according to Assistant Director of Facilities Management Mark Feist.

These changes are still in the preliminary stages, but Facilities Management is close to finalizing its route recommendations, according to Feist.

After AU changed shuttle routes early last semester, some students and SG President Andy MacCracken, expressed concerns about the Super Loop’s route.

The route, which runs from 8 p.m. until midnight on weekdays and weekends, takes students returning from Tenleytown to the Washington College of Law before main campus, leading some students to get off at the Katzen Arts Center.

After studying trends of ridership and listening to complaints from the student body, Facilities Management began working on changes to the Super Loop that would be more convenient for students. MacCracken also met with Facilities Management to give direct student input to the new route.

“[Facilities Management] is looking to provide resources for more direct main campus to Metro service,” Feist said. “These reactions and changes are based off student feedback.”

The WCL student government has still not met with Facilities Management to discuss the proposed changes, according to Feist.

More information on the specifics of the revised shuttle route should become available in a few weeks.

MacCracken said that he’s been working on getting the shuttle route changed since town hall-style meetings on the routes last October.

“I’m excited about the incoming changes,” he said. “I’m sure students will like the new direct route, especially as we move into the coldest month of the year.”

Further changes to shuttle service could involve moving to a fixed schedule, according to MacCracken.

“I’ve been advocating for a set schedule, so we can take the guesswork out of when to head to the shuttle,” he said.

The argument against a fixed schedule is the variation in traffic patterns could make it difficult to adhere to the set times, according to MacCracken.

“That shouldn’t be an issue after 9 p.m., though, so I’m looking forward to seeing what the outcome of that conversation will be,” he said.

Members of the AU community can reach either Alef Worku or Mark Feist, of Facilities Management to discuss changes to the shuttle route at worku@american.edu or mfeist@american.edu respectively.

You can reach this staff writer at cszold@theeagleonline.com.