Saturday, Sept. 21, 2024
WORLD NEWS HAITI 50 LA

District ‘Funk’ fundraises for quake victims

Over the past week, anyone who has turned on the television has seen the horrific and heartbreaking images and videos coming from the devastated country of Haiti.

The impoverished Caribbean state was struck by a 7.0 magnitude earthquake on Jan. 12, leaving millions of Haitians without shelter, food, water and other everyday essentials. After the news poured out of media outlets, the first thought that came to so many people’s mind was, “What can I do to help?”

Now, some of D.C.’s most talented electronic dance music producers and disc jockeys are coming together to find a way for young people to support relief efforts in Haiti, all while having fun.

This Sunday, Fort Knox Recordings and Blisspop are hosting the “Funkin’ 4 Haiti” benefit event at Modern in Georgetown. All proceeds collected at the door will be donated to the International Committee of the Red Cross. A minimum donation of $10 is required, but partygoers are encouraged to give more toward the cause.

In addition to the door collection, Modern will also aid in the donations by giving a portion of their income from Sunday night’s bar sales to the Red Cross.

The disc jockeys on hand will make sure this is a fundraiser to remember, and the lineup includes the local A-list talents of the duo Nadastrom, consisting of District natives Dave Nada and Matt Nordstrom, Fort Knox Five, Will Eastman and Stylus Chris, a D.C. disc jockey who fans have witnessed performing at Modern in Georgetown every Friday night — something Chris has been doing for the past seven years.

Fort Knox Five, the band behind the record label co-sponsoring the benefit, are known throughout the District for their local funk. They have released several singles, including “Radio Free D.C.” and “The Brazilian Hipster.”

“Funkin’ 4 Haiti” will take place on Jan. 24 from 9 p.m. to 2 a.m. at Modern (located at 3287 M St. N.W. in Georgetown). Guests must be 21 and over in order to gain admission, and most importantly shouldn’t forget their donation. Though $10 is the suggested donation, attendees are welcome to give more in return for a night of the District’s best talents.

You can reach this writer at thescene@theeagleonline.com.