Saturday, Sept. 21, 2024
NXT-TRIVIA 1 MCT

Johnny Depp emphasizes talent with role choices

"Alice in Wonderland" looks promising

Johnny Depp is one of those actors that seems to always get it right. Whether he’s playing a boy with scissors for hands or a Keith Richards-inspired pirate, he’s found a place among other character actors where he’s neither under nor overrated. Twenty-six years and nearly 50 films later, Depp is out to prove that he has nothing to prove — he’s fearless and eccentric, just the way we like him.

In one of his most anticipated films to date, Depp is playing the Mad Hatter in Tim Burton’s film adaptation of “Alice in Wonderland.” The film takes place 10 years later when Alice is 19 years old and once again falls through the rabbit hole to find herself in Wonderland. Australian newcomer Mia Wasikowska plays Alice. But aside from Depp, the film features many other big name actors such as Helena Bonham Carter as the Red Queen, Anne Hathaway as the White Queen and Alan Rickman as the Caterpillar. The film is a mixture of live action and animation in true Tim Burton fashion.

This film is not the first collaboration between Depp and Burton. After breaking into the business with the film “A Nightmare on Elm Street” and hit series “21 Jump Street,” Depp sought to try his hand at more challenging roles. The first script to catch his eye was the bizarre “Edward Scissorhands.” The year was 1990 and Burton was already an established director and producer looking for a big name to attach to the titular character. Tom Cruise, Robert Downey, Jr. and Michael Jackson were big name contenders for the role, but all turned it down in favor of prior commitments. Depp got the role and scored a slew of accolades and recognition for not just being a glossy teen idol. The film has since become a cult hit and sent Depp and Burton on a filmmaking journey together.

The duo have collaborated on seven films together since then including “Ed Wood,” “Sleepy Hollow” and the revamped “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.” The 2008 film “Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street” earned Depp his third Oscar nomination. “Alice In Wonderland” marks the tenth year the actor and director have collaborated — and what a glorious decade it has been.

The upcoming years see Depp playing a number of high-profile roles. Depp will be rounding out the year with the film “The Rum Diary,” a drama about freelance journalist Paul Kemp who moves to write for a newspaper in Puerto Rico, but then becomes obsessed with the rum and women. But 2011 is the year that Depp will be in surefire blockbusters.

His first film of that year is the much-talked about “The Tourist,” which also stars Oscar-winning actress Angelina Jolie. The film is a spy thriller that focuses on Jolie as a tourist who is used by an Interpol agent (Depp) in order to catch a criminal. Depp’s next film role is in the fourth installment of the Pirates of the Caribbean films, “Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides.” Depp reprises his role as the dread-headed and free-spirited Jack Sparrow. Geoffrey Rush is expected to reprise his role as Captain Barbosa and it is rumored that Penelope Cruz is also getting a role in the new “Pirates.” Depp’s third upcoming mainstream role is in “Sin City 3” as Wallace, a good guy who is a newcomer in the twisted world of the Frank Miller comics.

It is amazing to think that critically-acclaimed Depp almost passed up movie roles in exchange for rock stardom. The 46-year-old actor has had one of the most illustrious careers in Hollywood history and is showing no signs of stopping. Depp manages to be both enigmatic and more famous than ever, which — aside from his talent — might just be why we all love him so much.

You can reach this staff writer at ydesta@theeagleonline.com.