Tuesday, Oct. 22, 2024

Police blotter: Feb. 3 - Feb. 10

FEB. 3

The Department of Public Safety responded to a fire alarm in the Mary Graydon Center. A contractor working in the area activated the smoke detector.

A smoke detector in an Asbury Building laboratory activated the fire alarm. The building was evacuated and the lab was closed temporarily. A water pipe broke, pouring water on desks in the vicinity of two computers and ceiling tiles were damaged. Facilities Management shut the water off,

A student reported being injured and signed a medical refusal form in the Asbury Building.

Facilities Management reported a stolen drain cleaning machine, which had been stored in a cabinet from Anderson Hall.

A passenger window of a parked vehicle in the Sports Center Garage was smashed. Two empty fire extinguishers were recovered from the passenger side of the vehicle. The Metropolitan Police Department responded and initiated a report.

Two students surrendered two small plastic bags of suspected marijuana to a resident director in Leonard Hall. DPS took custody of the bags, and the substance inside tested positive for marijuana. Housing will be filing Student Conduct and Conflict Resolution Services charges.

FEB. 5

DPS found a conscious, partially coherent student on the floor of the Capital Hall lobby. When she attempted to stand, she lost her balance. She stated she had two and a half beers. The D.C. Fire Department transported her to a local hospital.

DPS and MPD responded to an off-campus noise complaint. According to the reporting person and a witness, approximately 30 people were inside the residence and several had just entered with open alcoholic beverages. MPD contacted occupants of the residence and advised them to lower the noise level.

DPS responded to a report of an inebriated student and found the student sitting on the floor of a men’s bathroom stall in Letts Hall. He was conscious and coherent with another student. Reportedly, the sick student was drinking with the other student in the other student’s room when the sick student began to vomit. The other student retrieved the alcohol and gave it to a resident assistant. The RA disposed of it and DCFD responded. The sick student signed a medical refusal form and stayed in the other student’s room for the night.

FEB. 6

DPS responded to a report of a sick student in McDowell Hall. The individual signed a medical refusal form.

DPS responded to an Anderson Hall RA’s report of individuals drinking in a room and refusing to provide AU ID to the RA. One student initially gave false information to DPS, stating he was not a student. Individuals in the room indicated they had been drinking and failed to comply with the RA’s request. All students were sent on their way. One individual was a visitor; he was barred from campus but was allowed to remain with his brother until morning due to the weather. Housing will be filing SCCRS charges.

DPS responded to McDowell Hall for a report of an injured and intoxicated student. A strong smell of alcohol was present on his breath and his speech was slurred. He was reportedly injured outside in the quad area. DCFD responded and the student signed a medical refusal form. The student indicated he consumed three shots of vodka earlier. Later that night, DPS responded back to McDowell where it was reported the student injured himself again. DCFD transported him to Sibley Hospital.

A student discharged a fire extinguisher under a resident’s door in Anderson Hall. Aramark was notified.

A fire extinguisher was discharged in a stairwell of Anderson Hall. A witness saw two unidentified individuals carrying an extinguisher and talked about going to the sixth floor.

DPS responded to a report of a sick person at the Eagles Nest. A medical refusal form was signed.

An employee driving an AU vehicle reported having side swiped another vehicle while being stuck in the snow at the Tenley turnaround. No injuries were reported and the AU vehicle was not damaged.

DPS and MPD responded to an off-campus noise complaint. MPD advised that no noise was heard from the residence. MPD advised that no contact would be attempted with the reporting person.

DPS transported a sick student in Centennial Hall, accompanied by another student, to a local hospital.

FEB. 7

DPS transported a sick student to a local hospital.

DPS and MPD responded to an off-campus house for a noise complaint. Upon arrival, several individuals were outside the house, and MPD advised that no noise violation was noted. MPD’s attempted to contact the residents. No one would answer the door and MPD denied the individuals entry into the house and advised them to vacate the area. MPD stated they would remain on the scene for awhile.

DCFD and DPS responded to a report of two intoxicated students in Letts Hall. Both complained of nausea and frequent vomiting. One student indicated they watched the movie “The Hangover,” at The Tavern earlier in the evening. Then they went to an unspecified location on campus and consumed nine shots and six shots of vodka respectively. DCFD transported one student to a local hospital, but the other student did not require transport.

Five students reported they were walking along Massachusetts Avenue when a vehicle drove next to them and threw eggs at them. No injuries were reported.

DPS and DCFD responded to a report of a sick student in Letts Hall. The student signed a medical refusal form.

DPS responded to a report of an oven fire in Anderson Hall. The fire was out upon arrival. A student had placed a plastic container with food in the oven, unaware the plastic would melt. She noticed smoke coming from the oven and turned it off. The oven was not damaged and Aramark was contacted to clean it.

An RA reported graffiti on a wall on the sixth floor of Anderson. Aramark was contacted to have it removed.

RA’s reported discovering an odor or marijuana while conducting rounds in Centennial Hall. The RA noticed the eyes of all the occupants of the room were blood shot and DPS detected a strong odor of marijuana along the hall leading up to the room. All occupants denied using drugs. One occupant indicated he was the owner of the marijuana. A small amount of marijuana (field tested “positive”) and a grinder were confiscated.

FEB. 8

DCFD transported a sick student in McDowell Hall to a local hospital.

DCFD transported an injured student from Anderson Hall to a local hospital. The injury occurred in Anderson a few days prior to the date of the transport.

DPS responded to Letts Hall and met with a Resident Director and a sick student. The student indicated she was seeing flashing lights after having smoked marijuana with another student approximately an hour earlier. DCFD transported the sick student to Sibley Hospital. The RD and DPS responded to Anderson Hall and spoke with the other student. The student indicated she smoked marijuana and produced a glass smoking device and a bag containing a green leafy substance. DPS took custody of the items. The contents in the bag tested positive for marijuana. Housing will be filing SCCRS charges.

FEB. 9

DPS responded to a report of an injured student outside Katzen Arts Center. The student signed a medical refusal form.

A student reported his cell phone was taken while attending a house party off campus. Later, someone had been texting his friends with the phone. He was advised to contact MPD and the phone carrier.

FEB. 10

RA’s reported a damaged exit sign and ceiling tiles on the second floor of Anderson Hall. Ceiling tiles were also damaged on the terrace level near a north stairwell. The RA’s were advised to contact Aramark and to initiate a 2fix ticket.

The front entrance of the roof of Butler Pavilion buckled under the weight of snow. No injuries were reported. Facilities Management was on the scene.

DPS responded to a report of an activated smoke detector in Letts Hall. Reportedly, two students were cooking eggs when the smoke detector sounded. One student called DPS to advise them there was no fire. No smoke or fire was present upon DPS arrival.

DPS responded to a report of a sick student in McDowell Hall. The student signed a medical refusal form.

DCFD transported an injured student in Letts Hall to a local hospital.