Tuesday, Oct. 22, 2024
‘WAIT TILL NEXT YEAR’ — For the first time in four years, a Student Government president defeated AU President Neil Kerwin in the annual basketball shootout. “I’m devastated,” Kerwin said. MacCracken defeated Kerwin by making seven baskets in 60 seconds. Kerwin only scored six.

SG President MacCracken dunks AU President Kerwin

In the fifth annual “Shootout: Battle of the Presidents,” Student Government President Andy MacCracken became the first SG President to beat AU President Cornelius Kerwin.

During halftime of the AU’s home game against the Army Black Knights Wednesday night, MacCracken made seven shots in 60 seconds, barely holding out against Kerwin’s six baskets.

“I’m devastated,” Kerwin said. “Andy really picked up in the middle [of the shoot-out]. I actually made my last four shots, and Andy at that point wasn’t making any.”

Kerwin said that if he had had five more seconds, the outcome would have been different.

“Next year, [the contest] is going to be 65 seconds,” Kerwin said.

The win was exciting but intimidating for MacCracken, he said.

“I didn’t know how good he is ... He’s really good, and of course he’s never lost, so it was a little stressful,” MacCracken said.

MacCracken also worried about the tens of thousands of dollars he asked Kerwin to donate to the recently approved SG Clean Energy Revolving Fund.

“I don’t know how that’s going to turn out now,” he said.

Despite the nerves, MacCracken said it felt good to win.

“This one’s for the students. We finally brought it back,” MacCracken said.

But Kerwin is ready to play again next year, he said.

“We’re going to keep doing it every year,” Kerwin said. “Until they elect a member of the basketball team as Student Government president.”

You can reach this staff writer at mfowler@theeagleonline.com.