Saturday, Sept. 21, 2024
RAIN OR SHINE — The Used played a raucous show at 9:30 club last Wednesday for hundreds of screaming fans. Punk band Drive A and metalcore group Atreyu opened the show, getting the crowd amped up for a night filled with moshpits, crowd surfing and spitting.

The Used return to screamo roots on new tour

Screamo would like you to know that it is still very much alive. Last Wednesday, hardcore alt-rock bands Drive A, Atreyu and The Used performed at the 9:30 club for hundreds of angry teens who came for blood.

After spending a year working on their fourth album, The Used have finally released the esoterically titled “Artwork.” Nine years into a career that was equal parts hardcore and sensitive indie rock, the band is going back to their roots to inspire the fans that loved them since the beginning. Since starting their band, the members have gone gold and platinum in many countries, selling millions of records worldwide and spreading their unique blend of punk and emo rock.

Though they made their past albums with producer John Feldmann, the band went in a new direction and chose to work with Matt Squire, famous for having worked with bands like Panic at the Disco and Boys Like Girls. Even though it’s more mainstream than Used fans are accustomed to, the album still packs a punch because the boys got more breathing room.

“Squire was great with melody and even though he does do a lot of pop, we were really picky about how it sounded,” Quinn Allman, guitarist for The Used, said. “We didn’t want to be pop — we wanted to be gross.”

As far as favorites of the band, “Blood on My Hands” is a number that they all love, especially Quinn, as he was responsible for most of its development. But it all comes down to lead singer Bert McCracken’s sweetheart lyrics. In part, they are the reason that The Used have had such widespread appeal, and not just to fans of angry slam rock. But it’s certain that the band is going for a more honest approach this time around.

“We wanted the album to have a collective idea, so we decided to deal with hate,” Quinn said. “It was about conceptualizing your own immortality and realizing how much you can hate yourself and still be okay. We were just inspired by danger, drugs and death.”

The band has toured the United States for the past couple months, with punk band Drive A opening for them at multiple venues. And they made sure to bring their energy to 9:30 club.

Drive A opened, looking like emo little brothers of The Ramones. Clad in skinny jeans and leather coats, Drive A were emo punk personified. Lead singer Bruno Mascolo gripped the mic and screamed at the audience, flipping his blonde mohawk around. During each song, all of the members spat onstage and thrashed around. At one point, the crowd wasn’t quite as wild as Mascolo liked, so he jumped from the stage, crowd surfed, then proceeded to create a mosh pit, shoving everyone in his sight while still trying to sing into the microphone. It was a punk performance through and through, but was only a precursor for what was to come.

For a band based in Orange County, Calif., Atreyu are one of the grittiest metalcore bands around. Active since 1998, they have developed an intense following. Once they hit the stage, the audience went from docile kids to mosh pit monsters — boys ripping off their shirts and girls spinning around, shoving each other as hard as possible. Atreyu sang songs like “Lonely,” “Falling Down,” “Lip Gloss and Black” and songs from their latest album, “Congregation of the Damned.” Guitarists Dan Jacobs and Travis Miguel had amazing chemistry onstage, playing their guitars behind their backs for their head-banging fans. But even their hell-raising performance couldn’t compare to the main attraction, The Used.

“D.C., how the fuck are you?” lead singer Bert McCracken yelled at the audience. Looking around, he spat on the front row as the band launched into their first song, “Blood On My Hands.” McCracken’s voice was low and frightening, building up to the parts where he simply screamed into the mic. There were kids crowd-surfing all over the ground floor, while other people moshed around.

“We’re The-fucking-Used — and if you don’t have our new album ... go steal it from Wal-Mart,” McCracken shouted to the crowd. The band sang songs like “Blue and Yellow,” and the romantic “I Caught Fire,” dripping with McCracken’s sickeningly sweet lyrics coupled with wicked guitar solos. At one point McCracken sent security guards into the crowd to get as many teenage girls in the audience to come onstage and dance around to the music. The way The Used interacted with the crowd made the concert that much more memorable. For their final song, McCracken ordered the crowd to split into two sides.

“This is our last song and when the music starts, you’re gonna run at each other like animals!” McCracken yelled. Pandemonium ensued, ending the night with a bang.

You can reach this staff writer at ydesta@theeagleonline.com.