Collin Eutis takes first in 3000-meter run at Maryland Invitational

The AU men’s track team finished in sixth place at the 2010 Maryland Invitational on Saturday, while the women’s team came in 12th.

Zach Wright recorded seven points in the high jump to tie UMBC’s Victor Gilreath for second place in that competition.

The Eagles earned 30 points with a strong effort in the men’s 3000-meter run. Collin Eustis came in first in the race with a time of 8:22.66. Josh Olsen came in second with a time of 8:27.28. Meanwhile, AU’s Ryan Williams came in sixth with 8:42.19. Finally, Eagle Mark Allen came in eighth with a time of 8:50.54.

AU took four of the first five spots in the men’s 1500-meter run to earn 31 points. Jeff Brannigan finished in second with a time of 3:53.26. Behind Brannigan, Craig Brown finished third with a time of 3:53.83. Conor Sullivan finished in fourth with a time of 3:55.89. Rounding out the top five was James Cannon, who finished with a time of 3:57.68.

AU’s Josh Einbinder posted a 14th place finish in the men’s 800-meter run. Einbinder’s teammate Alex Lyons had a time of 1:59.45 — good enough to finish in 18th place. Despite finishing in the top 20, neither of the times were good enough to qualify for team points.

The men were left pointless in the 400-meter dash. Matt Farrow had a time of 51.23, while Morgan Block recorded a 51.93. Farrow was also pointless in the 200-meter dash, finishing with a time of 23.53.

As for the women’s team, Octavia Rinehardt came in fifth in the women’s 3000-meter run with a time of 10:18.29, earning six points. Meanwhile, AU’s Jessica Micciolo finished with a time of 11:52.26. Anna Scalamogna finished in 27th with a recorded time of 13:07.12. Unlike Rinehardt, Micciolo and Scalamogna’s times were not good enough to earn team points.

The AU women’s team got four points when Erin Koch ran a 4:42.74 in the women’s 1500-meter run. Teammates Rachel Forcino ran a 4:53.87, and Lauren Scholl recorded a time of 5:25.68. Once again, neither Forcino nor Scholl were rewarded any points.

The Eagles’ next meet is the Navy Invitational on April 3. There are only four meets left on the year. The Patriot League Outdoor Track and Field Championships will be held in Lewisburg, Pa., April 30 and May 1.

You can reach this writer at sports@theeagleonline.com.