Saturday, Sept. 21, 2024

‘LOST’s’ claimed candidates create more questions

On this week’s episode of “LOST,” “The Lighthouse,” we met a mini-Shepherd, Jack’s son, David. David stays with Jack while David’s mother is out of town, but the two have trouble communicating. We see commonalities in the relationships between Jack and his father and Jack and his son. Luckily, Jack is neither a lush nor a prick, and he overcomes the communication barrier when he shows up to his son’s piano audition only to meet Mr. “Too-Cool for English” Dogan and his tiny, prodigy son.

“They’re too young for that much pressure,” Mr. Too-Cool says of the boys. What do you know about pressure? You get to prance around your hidden temple, ordering John Lennon and your jungle slaves to do stuff for you, like drown Sayid. I kind of hope that Mr. Too-Cool meets a bad end; he’s just not as cool as the original cast. Thankfully, Evil Locke is headed his way and will most likely kill him with some smoke monster action.

Back on the beach, Claire fixes up Jin’s leg and then sinks an axe into the chest of that fake Lawrence Fishbourne guy. Clearly she’s crazy! As if that ratty wig wasn’t already a sign. One more thing, she’s been hanging out with Evil Locke, and she keeps this crazy animal skull in a rather new-looking bassinette, pretending it’s her baby! I’m not sure I want to see any more of Claire’s story, but she does say “one thing that’ll kill you around here is infection,” alluding to others that have died. She did, however, have a scar where Mr. Too-Cool branded her. Doesn’t that mean she’s not “claimed” if she still burns like a mortal?

Although the episode was very Jack-centered, Hurley had a few good moments. He referenced Star Wars, comparing Jacob to Obi-Wan Kenobi, and then proclaimed, “I just lied to a Samurai” in reference to Mr. Too-Cool.

Hurley took Jack to a lighthouse that no one had ever noticed before, expecting to find Jacob. Instead, they found some kind of clock that when shifted to a specific degree corresponding with a survivor’s name, shows an image in a mirror from that person’s life. In the mirror, we saw glimpses of Sun and Jin’s wedding, the church where Sawyer’s parents had their funeral and the house in which Jack grew up.

It’s interesting to think about who the next “protector” will be. It can’t be someone who has been “claimed,” so that rules out Sayid, Locke and Claire. The remaining candidates would be Jack, Kate, Sawyer, Sun or Jin. This last episode led us to believe it might be Jack, because Jacob is always so interested in him. That would be too obvious and Jack would never give his life to the island. Man, Locke would’ve been perfect; too bad he’s dead. So the protector will either be someone unexpected, like Rose or Bernard, or something out of character would happen. I could see J.J. having Jack and Kate settle on the island, making a super handsome family. A hundred bucks says the last scene of the series will be some happy people frolicking on the beach — after all, that’s how he ended “Alias.”

Producer Damon Lindelof has said of the series finale, “We do feel like the worst ending that we could possibly provide everyone who has invested this amount of time and energy into watching the show is the safe ending. You know, the ending that is basically like, ‘What’s going to be the most appealing to the most number of people?’”

No doubt the producers will leave us with a good taste in our mouths, however, don’t count on all of your questions being answered. The finale of “LOST” is bound to be a tropical blend of mystery, death and satisfaction, or else you wouldn’t be lost.

You can reach this columnist at thescene@theeagleonline.com.