Saturday, Oct. 19, 2024

Sports briefs

Field Hockey announces recruiting class

AU Head Coach Steve Jennings announced the signing of seven athletes to the 2010 field hockey squad on Monday.

The signings include Jaclyn Anspatch, Keelin Bannon, Jaclyn Beasley, Stephanie Burry, Gina Hofmann, Shelly Montgomery and Costanza Palma.

Beasley and Bannon were teammates on the 2008 USA Junior Olympic team. Both of them also won State Championships with their respective high schools, Beasley’s in New Jersey and Bannon’s in Massachusetts. The only other recruits to compete internationally are Hofmann, who played for the German U-16 and U-18 teams, and Palma, who was part of the Chilean National Team in the 2009 Junior World Cup.

—ANDREW TOMLINSON

Men's soccer releases spring schedule

AU men’s soccer team released their spring schedule on Monday and will play two games in the D.C. area.

AU will play James Madison University, Towson University and the University of Maryland-Baltimore County on the road. Their second game of the season will be against Loyola University Maryland at Richmond Montgomery High School. AU’s only two games at Reeves Field will be against Duke University and Georgetown University on April 17.

In 2009, the Eagles reached the Patriot League championship game but fell to Bucknell University. They finished the season with a 9-7-3 record. AU’s next game will be against Loyola University Maryland on March 27.

—A.T.

Invitational performance earns Brown student-athlete of the week

Track and Field sophomore Craig Brown was named the AU Student-Athlete of the Week for the week of March 15.

Brown won the men’s 3,000-meter run at the Coastal Carolina Invitational last weekend. He posted a time of 8:29.39 — one second better than teammate Jeff Brannigan. His time was the sixth fastest in school history.

AU’s next meet is this Saturday. They will be participating in the Maryland Invitational in College Park, Md.

—A.T.