Tuesday, Oct. 22, 2024

Errant car slams pole, leads to power outage

Nebraska Hall, the Katzen Arts Center and Ward Circle experienced a temporary power outage Tuesday night as a result of a vehicle hitting an electrical pole.

The vehicle hit the pole between Macomb Street and Newark Avenue around 10:30 p.m., according to Pepco spokesperson Clay Anderson. Power went out for over 1,110 customers at 10:41 p.m.

Representatives from Pepco, Verizon and Comcast arrived on the scene shortly after the power outage, Anderson said.

Cable TV service in numerous residence halls across campus was also temporarily cut off because of the power outage. Most channels were back as of 12:40 a.m.

Back-up generators in Nebraska Hall provided power to elevators and at least one light in every room in the residence hall to ensure residents’ safety.

Police blocked the inside lane of traffic in Ward Circle during the outage because the traffic lights were not working. Streetlights were also out along portions of Massachusetts and Wisconsin avenues.

Power was restored to all customers by 12:10 a.m., according to Anderson.

– JULIA RYAN