Saturday, Sept. 21, 2024
MANCHESTER, TN - JUNE 14:  Snoop Dogg performs on stage during Bonnaroo 2009 on June 14, 2009 in Manchester, Tennessee.  (Photo by C. Taylor Crothers/FilmMagic) *** Local Caption *** Snoop Dogg

Southern hospitality opens arms to Bonnaroo bands

If you’re a student in D.C., then it’s likely you weren’t able to drag yourself all the way to California for the epic music festival that is Coachella. But never fear, with summer 2010 rolling around there’s a music festival of equal legendary status coming up, and it’s only a bus ride away — yes, that’s right, Bonnaroo.

Bonnaroo is a major music and arts festival that takes place every year for four days on a massive campsite in Manchester, Tenn. Some of the biggest names in rock and hip-hop have graced its stages, and this year is no exception. Here are just a few names to get excited for: Jay-Z, Kings of Leon, Stevie Wonder, Gossip, Jeff Beck, Phoenix, The xx, Black Keys, Regina Spektor and Kid Cudi. Plus, if you missed Coachella, a number of the same bands are performing at Bonnaroo as well. It’s an opportunity for music lovers to really get their fill without having to go halfway across the country.

Bonnaroo prides itself on its variety of performers, so fans of comedy should get excited because Conan O’ Brien is slated to take the stage. Still on his “Legally Prohibited From Being Funny On Television Tour,” Coco will perform his schtick for the masses at Bonnaroo before moving on to his regularly scheduled tour stop in Atlanta, Ga.

In addition to O’Brien, funnymen like Aziz Ansari, Bo Burnham, JB Smoove and Greg Giraldo are scheduled to bring in the laughs to Bonnaroo’s comedy tent. Comedic rock duo Tenacious D are also on the lineup, melding the festival’s love for music and comedy.

As with all music festivals, Bonnaroo has a number of different tents and activities to keep fans entertained if they don’t feel like watching a certain performer. Each morning on the Solar Stage, there will be free yoga so fans can get limbered up for the day. Audience members can visit the Troo Music Lounge, a relaxation station for fans that have been baking in the hot Tennessee sun. There’s also a Silent Disco, where fans all wear headphones and dance to disco-style music. For those 21 and older, there’s a tent converted into a beer brewery, also known as Broo’ers Festival.

Of course, the festival would be nothing without a huge crafts fair and market that will feature craftsmen, artists and vendors, as well as official Bonnaroo merchandise in order to commemorate the four-day musical extravaganza. But if you really don’t feel like buying art, you can just stop by the Poster Art Exhibit which features limited edition, hand-screened poster art featuring acts of the last few decades. Many of the artists themselves will be there, as well as work that features some of the performers from this year’s festival.

The festival takes place June 10 through June 13. Tickets are sold through their Web site, www.bonnaroo.com. If you’re traveling from D.C., the festival is easily accessible through Greyhound buses which will take you right to Manchester.

The word Bonnaroo itself is New Orleans slang, meaning “a really good time.” And for the past eight years, Bonnaroo has delivered nothing less than that.

You can reach this staff writer at ydesta@theeagleonline.com.