Saturday, Sept. 21, 2024
It’s 9:30 somewhere — Fans pack one of the biggest and most popular venues in D.C., the 9:30 club. A moveable stage allows the club to host small, indie acts as well as big name draws such as the Red Hot Chili Peppers and Drake.

D.C. music venues: there's one for everyone

D.C. is known for many things — namely politics, monuments and overpriced universities. But the nation's capital has a burgeoning music scene that is busting at the seams. Simply take a stroll down U Street, and you will find some of the most unique music venues in the country.

Perhaps the biggest and most well known in the Northwest quadrant of the District is 9:30 club. The venue has a huge stage, great sound system, bare dance floor and a balcony for those who want to view bands from a safer location. Over the years, the venue has hosted music acts ranging from Bob Dylan to bands like the Red Hot Chili Peppers and Minor Threat. In the past year alone, Drake and Wale have performed, as well as groups such as Arctic Monkeys and The Dead Weather. The venue caters to all genres of music, and the tickets usually stay near $35. Its popularity means that the venue is usually packed and lines can wrap around the block. Be smart and arrive early for prime positioning. Once inside, hardcore fans flock to the dance floor so they can see the musicians up close and dance when the music starts pumping. (One of the few downsides is that it can be incredibly hot and cramped.) If you are there, be ready to sweat and be jostled by the hundreds of fans around you. If that's not your style, you can always head to the balcony and watch the show from above. 9:30 club offers the best of both worlds for a music fan.

Black Cat is essentially the hipster little sister of 9:30 club. It boasts a coterie of the best indie bands around, mixed with well-known musicians like the legendary Wanda Jackson. Tickets are generally cheap, ranging from $10 to $20 depending on the popularity of the artists, and tickets are very rarely sold out. The venue itself is small but wide, with exposed pipes overhead and a dance floor that holds approximately 100 people. It is more intimate than some other concert places but still has enough space for fans to dance and move around. Upstairs, there is a vegan restaurant that serves delicious meals and desserts, solidifying the Black Cat's hipster status. 

If you want a venue that has a slightly darker feeling, head over to the aptly named Rock 'n' Roll Hotel. The building is dark, and the walls are covered with posters of rock legends like Jimi Hendrix and the Ramones. Upstairs, there is a bar and a jukebox that constantly streams punk and screamo. In addition, there are velvety lounges named after bands and decorated accordingly (e.g., the My Bloody Valentine Lounge.) Downstairs, the stage and dance floor are small and narrow, and fans are within arm's reach of the musicians. The bands range from sweet, indie newbies like Bad Veins to foul-mouthed party monsters like Amanda Blank. It is a great place to hear new bands for a cheap price, and you can mingle with the rockers after a set. 

If you are looking for an even more intimate place in D.C., cue DC9. At first glance, DC9 seems like a crowded bar, but upstairs there is a small stage and standing area. DC9 is more like a cozy attic with some amps and microphones. The stage is barely raised, and the floor could probably hold no more than 30 people. Tickets are cheap and never sold out, which is ideal for seeing a concert on a whim. The performances are extremely intimate and host a range of virtually unknown singers and bands. It has a great garage band vibe going, making it the ultimate venue for a low-key night.

For those who don't care for indie rock or dance floor venues, turn your attention to Blues Alley. Located in Georgetown, Blues Alley is the ideal D.C. venue for those who want to enjoy a nice dinner and a performance from an array of jazz and blues musicians, both local and famous. The venue is small and smoky — the ideal setup for an intimate jazz performance. Tickets might run you upwards of $50, but it's worth it to be a part of the legendary jazz scene in D.C.

No matter what your musical preference — rocking out at big shows or sitting and sipping during smaller performances — you can find a venue that offers it in the District.

ydesta@theeagleonline.com.