Wednesday, Oct. 23, 2024

Involvement opportunities at AU

DC Reads

DC Reads is a joint program between AU, its students, D.C. Public Schools and community-based organizations to improve literacy in the district. The program allows AU students to volunteer to tutor elementary school children at off-campus sites.

How to get involved: DC Reads will begin accepting applications from Aug. 2 to Oct. 8. Information session will be held Aug. 31 and Sept. 8, 16, 21 and 29. All information sessions will begin at 5 p.m. and will be held in MGC 200 with the exception of the Aug. 31 session, which will be held in room 203/205. For more information contact program director Robin Adams at radams@american.edu.

Latino Heritage Month

Latino Heritage Month service day volunteers will work with Fiesta D.C., an organization that promotes Latino culture in the D.C.-metro area, to provide support for their 39th annual festival in Mount Pleasant on Sept. 27.

How to get involved: Contact the Center for Community Engagement and Service office at 202-885-SERV or MGC Room 273.

Alternative Breaks

Alternative Breaks provide student-led groups the opportunity to travel during their school vacations. Students work with community initiatives that address global and local social justice issues.

How to get involved: An information session will be held on Sept. 14. Winter and spring break participant applications are due Sept. 22 and summer break participant applications are due Feb. 1. For more information contact Shoshanna Sumka at sumka@american.edu.

Student Involvement Fair

Student Involvement Fair provides students with the chance to learn about events, organizations and activities taking place in the AU community and get involved.

How to get involved: The fall fair will take place Sept. 15 from 11:30 to 2:30 p.m. on the Quad.