Wednesday, Oct. 23, 2024

Office of the Dean of Students hires three new staff members

The Office of the Dean of Students recently hired three new staff members – an associate dean, an assistant dean and an assistant to the dean, according to Dean of Students Robert Hradsky.

As the new associate dean, Michelle Espinosa will supervise the Wellness Center staff, which comprises educators that focus on health, alcohol, drugs and sexual assault within the AU community, Hradsky said.

The former Associate Dean, Sara Waldron, left AU to be the Dean of Students at Drew University in New Jersey, according to Hradsky.

Espinosa will be responsible for acting as an advocate for sexual assault victims as well as dealing with neighbor relations.

She will also be responsible for using data from surveys and alcohol assessments to address other key issues that affect students. The Office of the Dean of Students will then work with other offices on campus to provide basic programming for these issues.

For instance, Hradsky explained that if resulting data showed that sexual assault is becoming more prevalent, the office will design more programs to encourage students to make more responsible decisions and seek help if they are victims of assault.

“This is something that did not happen extensively in the past year, and I would like for it to happen,” Hradsky said.

Espinosa will also be handling neighbor relations when she starts on Aug. 23.

“The university had 27 complaints from the community in 2009, so she will resolve issues between the university and its surrounding community,” Hradsky said. “Response is a key part of her job.”

New Assistant Dean Dr. Marianne Huger, who has a doctorate in education, is responsible for working with students of concern and ensuring they receive appropriate attention. She began working at AU on July 7 when the position was created due to increasing enrollment and demands placed on the Dean of Students office.

The new assistant to the dean, Tracy Dillard performs administrative duties in the office. She started at AU in May when the former assistant to the dean, Valeria Verra, left for a promotion to a leadership position in AU Central.