Saturday, Sept. 21, 2024
HERE SHE IS — AU graduate student Serena Lin (second from left) was the first runner up in the Miss Chinese American pageant, competing against over a dozen other young women for the crown. The competition featured the traditional pageant categories — swimsuit, talent, evening gown and Q&A — but focused on the unique experiences Chinese Americans face in this country.

AU graduate student takes second place in Miss Chinese American

Serena Lin was born to be a pageant queen. She’s involved in countless charities (Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, Smithsonian Young Benefactor’s Society, etc.), has perfect hair and speaks multiple languages (Chinese Mandarin, Cantonese, Taiwanese). And yet, she competed in her first pageant last Friday, in Miss Chinese American in Bethesda.

The 23-year-old graduate student at AU, born and raised in Xiamen, China, is majoring in public communications and has big dreams for that major.

“I want to have a strategic communications consulting firm that handles marketing and PR for international organizations and non-profits,” said Lin in an interview with The Eagle.

Lin credits this interest in international affairs to her half-French, half-Chinese grandfather, a former diplomat, and her grandmother, a former schoolteacher. Lin said that her grandparents raised her and that her grandmother had a great influence on her.

“By age 6 or 7, she taught me how to correctly wear perfume and dress well everyday. She influenced me more than she knew and she always taught me that education was important,” said Lin. As a result, Lin is well-traveled, having lived in the UK for a year and coming to AU to continue pursuing a communications career.

“I come from a journalism background and AU seemed to have the best communications school,” said Lin. Since coming to AU, Lin has joined the AU Chinese Scholars and Students Association (AUCSSA), a Chinese organization on campus, and became an intern for the US Chamber of Commerce. As part of the AUCSSA, Lin has been able to host many traditional Chinese events, such as New Year’s and Mid Autumn festival. In addition, Lin performed at the Chinese Embassy, doing a song and dance in a traditional “qipao” dress. But that performance is nothing for Lin, who has been dancing and modeling for years now.

“I’ve modeled for countless charity events,” said Lin, among them, runway shows for Fashion for Passion, to end human trafficking, Green and Gorgeous Fashion Show, to raise breast cancer awareness, and 2010’s Apparatus Fashion Show, which promotes HIV/AIDS awareness. Because of this, Lin felt confident about competing in a pageant. She looked forward to the talent and question section the most. But for the multi-talented student, it wasn’t easy to convince others that a pageant was a worthwhile event.

“My friends asked, ‘why?’ They think pageants are superficial and for shallow girls. But I think it’s an opportunity to be a role model — I want to promote cultural change, not just my looks,” said Lin.

“I feel that many times the role of Chinese American women isn’t fully recognized. I want to help give women a more powerful yet feminine exposure,” said Lin.

Though this is Lin’s first pageant, she isn’t opposed to doing more. She says that she could see herself competing in Miss International or perhaps Miss America. And though she’s been training for the pageant for the past two months, she believes that the only important thing to remember in a pageant is to be yourself and have positive energy.

“I love the saying that if you can’t control others, control yourself. You just have to do your best,” said Lin, in reference to the pageant results.

As the competition was underway last Friday at the Strathmore Music Center, Lin and the 14 other competitors were dizzy from six-hour dress rehearsals and nonstop talent practice. Backstage, the dressing rooms were covered in makeup, hairspray bottles and suitcases filled with clothes. Girls were scrambling to achieve perfection, applying copious amounts of mascara, tanning spray and body shimmer on every part of their bodies.

The pageant opened with the girls performing a group number set to a remixed version of “What U Waiting For?” by Gwen Stefani. Wearing identical white bubble dresses, each girl spun in circles and blew choreographed kisses to the audience. The girls, ranging in age from 17 to 24, each had their turn at the mic, introducing themselves in English and Chinese to the largely Asian audience. Afterwards came the talent competition.

Some sang songs, others played instruments, such as the flute and traditional guzheng, while others, like Serena, opted to do a dance routine. Lin performed a samba/jazz fusion in a pink flapper dress, with a permanent smile affixed to her face.

After the talent came the swimsuit and evening wear. The girls all wore identical blue bikinis and extravagant hairstyles. The evening gowns ranged from dramatic red and black gowns, to flowery, strapless pieces. Lin stood out in a pale blue gown and silver heels.

The competition was incredibly long, lasting for about two-and-a-half hours, but around 10 p.m. it was time to announce the winners. There were special prizes, such as “Best Dressed” and “Best Posture,” and then it was time to make the big announcements. There were to be four runner ups, with only the top two receiving crowns, sashes and trophies. As each name was announced, each of the girls kept her composure, smiling and clapping graciously for each girl.

In the end, Serena Lin was crowned first runner-up, while the winner was Patty Yao. Lin received a crown along with two bouquets of flowers. Once backstage, the first thing Lin did was hug her makeup artist/hair stylist Ji Cha, and call her parents in China.

Lin was completely surprised by the win, but says she was proud of herself and her success in her very first pageant. Maybe Miss America isn’t too far of a reach after all.

ydesta@theeagleonline.com