Wednesday, Oct. 23, 2024

Police blotter

Sept. 16

A student reported discovering her wallet was taken from her bag while she was in a coffee shop on the 4500 Block of Wisconsin Ave. NW. The bag was on a stand behind her while she was using a laptop computer. At least one fraudulent charge was made on a bank card, which was in the wallet.

Sept. 17

A resident assistant discovered fire extinguishers had been discharged on fifth floor stairwells of Anderson and Letts Hall. The extinguishers were taken to Facilities Management for replacement. Aramark was contacted to clean the areas.

Twenty-four chairs were reported to have been taken from the Butler Pavilion Conference Room.

The Department of Public Safety responded to a report of an altercation and met two students outside of the Ward Circle Building. The female was very irate and crying. Reportedly, she became upset at the male, “her boyfriend,” when he spoke of another female being invited to a party. She threw books around, struck herself on the arms and legs, scratched her neck and face and scratched him on the hand. He did not wish to pursue the matter.

A bicycle was taken from the rear parking lot of the Berkshire Apartments. The bike had been secured to a fence via cable lock.

Sept. 18

During routine patrol, Public Safety discovered two students sitting on the grass outside of Katzen Arts Center surrounded with drug paraphernalia, alcohol and suspected marijuana. Student #1 indicated he and Student #2 were smoking marijuana. The following was recovered: One 50 mL bottle of JB, one 50 mL bottle of Jack Daniels, suspected marijuana (tested positive for marijuana), vaporizer, grinder, rolling papers, pipe and plastic tubing.

Sept. 19

At 1:43 a.m., Public Safety responded to the south shuttle stop for a report of a verbal altercation. Public Safety observed Student #1 and Student #2 arguing with each other as they exited an AU shuttle bus. Student #1 said Student #2 asked him if he wanted to fight. Student #1 stated it was due to him making a comment to a female on the bus. According to the students, the argument never became physical. The students were sent on their way at 1:51 a.m.

At 1:52 a.m., Public Safety responded to a report of a fight in progress in the Letts/Anderson Quad. Public Safety saw Student #1 yelling in the direction of Student #2. Student #1 asserted Student #2 asked him if he wanted to fight. Student #2 asserted Student #1 attempted to start a fight. Again, both claimed no physical altercation occurred. They were sent on their way.

Public Safety responded to a report of an individual vomiting on a shuttle bus at the Tenley shuttle stop. Upon arrival, the individual was vomiting, conscious but not entirely coherent. She indicated she had been drinking at a friend’s house in Adams Morgan from 10:00 p.m. to 1 a.m. The D.C. Fire Department determined she did not need to be transported to a hospital.

Reportedly, at approximately 6 a.m., a student walked into Public Safety and spoke with a dispatcher. The student was locked out of his room. The dispatcher told the student to stand by while necessary information was gathered. The student appeared agitated and paced in the main lobby. The student walked into the vending area and struck a computer monitor, damaging it. Later, a resident director and Public Safety questioned him about the damage. Public Safety detected an odor of an alcoholic beverage on the student’s breath. The student stated he punched the computer because he was intoxicated and frustrated about being locked out of the room. The incident will be referred to the Office of Student Conduct.

Sept. 20

Three letters (S, J and S) were discovered missing from a sign in the Bender Arena Fitness Center.

A bicycle was taken from the Kay Spiritual Life Center bike rack. The bike had been secured to a bike rack via combination cable lock.

An injured person inside MGC signed a medical refusal form. She was issued a voucher and transported by cab to the Hospital. She was assisted by a witness.

Public Safety responded to a report of an injured person in Hughes Hall. The individual signed a medical refusal form.

DCFD transported a sick person from Letts Hall to the hospital.

The front wheel of a bicycle was taken as the bike was secured to a sign in front of the East Quad Building.

A window was shattered on a vehicle in a parking lot outside of Nebraska Hall.

Sept. 21

A vehicle struck the rear bumper of an AU shuttle bus while the bus was parked at a bus stop near the Tenleytown Metro stop. The vehicle left the scene without providing any information. No injuries were reported.

An AU-issued laptop computer was taken from an unsecured vehicle as it was parked in a garage in Maryland. The computer did not contain any sensitive or personal information. Montgomery County Police were notified.

An employee observed an individual take three packs of gum and place them in her book bag in the Eagle’s Nest. The incident will be referred to the Office of Student Conduct.

A student reported having left a ring unattended on a sink in the second floor women’s restroom of Federal Hall. Upon returning to the restroom, the ring was gone.

Sept. 22

A backpack was taken from a Letts Hall room, which was most likely left unsecured. The complainant’s roommate may have been asleep in the room when the room was entered.

DCFD responded and released several individuals from a stuck elevator in the Bender Arena Sports Center. No injuries were reported.

A parked vehicle’s driver’s side window was discovered broken in the Nebraska Hall parking lot. Nothing was reported missing from the vehicle.

While on routine patrol, Public Safety detected an odor of marijuana outside Beeghly Chemistry. When Public Safety approached the area, two individuals ran but were intercepted by other officers. They admitted smoking marijuana. They were escorted to their residence hall to verify their identity. A resident assistant accompanied them to their room. Drug paraphernalia containing residue was confiscated. It tested positive for marijuana.