Wednesday, Oct. 23, 2024

SG, greek life plan to increase collaboration

The heads of the Student Government and greek community groups have decided to increase communication and share resources to strengthen their initiatives.

The presidents of the SG, the Inter-fraternity Council and the Panhellenic Council established a new bi-weekly meeting plan and will share resources amongst themselves. They will also promote each other’s big events and contribute volunteers to events.

SG President Nate Bronstein said a new connection to greek life can be a valuable asset to the SG.

“Greek life can help the SG in that it can mobilize students, instill passion and provide a stronger community,” Bronstein said. “The SG can reach the administration, advocate, advertise, provide resources and opportunities for the greek community in a way that only the SG can.”

He also said both student organizations share common goals.

“My job is to build us a home away from home, and that’s precisely what [fraternities and sororities] do ... There is where our missions meet,” Bronstein said.

The SG Director of Residential and Campus Life, Seth Rosenstein, will focus on facilitating the communication between the organizations.

“My department’s plan is to hold bi-weekly meetings with student leaders representing these [three] organizations to coordinate our efforts and extend Student Government resources to any organization requesting them,” Rosenstein said.

Panhellenic President Katie Schweitzer said she looks forward to collaborating with the SG on staffing and events.

“Communication is key, and the bi-weekly meetings we’ve planned will definitely help keep everyone on the same page so we can utilize resources to the fullest,” Schweitzer said.

Bronstein, IFC President Adam Tager and Schweitzer plan to attend all of the bi-weekly meetings between their respective organizations, but representatives will be sent to these meetings when they are absent due to scheduling conflicts.

Tager is glad the SG and the greek community are taking steps to become better connected, he said.

“This is a big step forward for all students, greek or not,” he said. “This enables us all to work together for good policy, productive change and programming for the benefit of both fraternity and sorority life, and the campus as a whole.”

The IFC will ask the Student Advocacy Center, a part of the SG, to join their conduct code town hall on Sept. 29. The IFC and the Panhellenic Council have agreed to assist the SG in its ‘Spring Fling’ week later in the year and possibly other future SG events.