Wednesday, Oct. 23, 2024

SmarTrip-embedded technology to be discontinued soon

The manufacturer of SmarTrip cards will soon cease the production of the technology embedded in the cards, according to a Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority spokesperson.

The manufacturer of SmarTrip cards — Giesecke & Devrient — has not yet determined the date at which production of this technology will stop, according to spokesperson Angela Gates.

Recent questions have been raised about the quantity of SmarTrip cards left, as WMATA looks to reduce the cost of the cards from $5 to $2.50 in the light of raised fare prices.

However, Gates said that WMATA has purchased enough cards with the embedded technology for the next two years and is currently investigating new technology.

WMATA earlier proposed the elimination of a negative balance on the SmarTrip cards, but nothing has been resolved.

Gates said some riders abuse the negative balance option by continually buying SmarTrip cards instead of putting money on their existing card and paying the negative balance.

WMATA is also looking at new ways for riders to add fare to the SmarTrip cards, Gates said, including using phones and other forms of contactless payment.

The WMATA Board will meet again to discuss the issue in October, and there may be a decision reached then, Gates said.

“SmarTrip cards will continue to work, regardless of the type of technology that is embedded inside the cards. The transition should be invisible to customers,” she said.