Saturday, Sept. 21, 2024
NUP_140924_

Sneak peek at networks’ fall TV lineups

Fall TV is finally back with some intriguing new pilots in the line-up. After viewing some “for final review” pilots — versions of the pilot that are not quite finished for broadcast, but offer the raw impressions of the show in question — it’s safe to say that the upcoming TV season has a lot of promise, and these are some of the shows that will have thumbs on the remotes and the TiVos fired up.

“Lone Star” (FOX)

If you missed the premiere of “Lone Star” this week, go back and give it a chance. This is definitely a “don’t judge a book by its cover” show. Since Bob Allen (James Wolk) was a small child, he has been involved in his father John’s (David Keith) schemes and taught all the skills to be the perfect con man. As an adult, he is married to Cat (Adrianne Palicki) and working at his father-in-law’s oil company in Houston, with the intent to “clean it out,” as John puts it. However, 400 miles away, Bob is leading another life with girlfriend Lindsey (Eloise Mumford), under the alias Robert. But as Bob begins to yearn for a normal life, he finds himself at a crossroads, in love with two women who have no idea about each other and trying to placate a father he desperately wants to please.

The description might keep some viewers away — an adulterous con man? — but this show should soon become a number one priority. Bob is not a one-dimensional character; he has flaws and inner demons. Wolk, a newcomer, is outstanding as a torn man who wants nothing more than to get out of this deceitful life but does not know how. His leading ladies both play their respective roles amazingly well. Mumford is particularly impressive as she tackles Lindsey’s innocence and playfulness without coming off as immature and annoying. Jon Voight’s acting is unsurprisingly good as Bob’s father-in-law Clint, an oil tycoon protective of his children, but unknowingly trusting of his daughter’s husband. “Lone Star” is compelling with good character depth, and all the actors — main and supporting — are simply mind-blowing. This show should definitely top many “must watch” lists this fall.

Premiere date: Sept. 20 at 9 p.m.

“Undercovers” (NBC)

J.J. Abrams is the god who brought the world “Lost,” and now he’s back with his newest project. Meet Steven (Boris Kodjoe) and Samantha Bloom (Gugu Mbatha-Raw), two retired CIA agents who left the world of butt-kicking for a domestic, “normal” life running a catering company together. Despite a happy marriage, the two know something is missing in their idyllic lives. Enter Carlton Shaw (Gerald McRaney), a CIA operative who lures them back to their previous lives to find their old friend, missing agent Leo Nash (Carter MacIntyre). From crashing high-society parties to travelling the world, the Blooms are able to find that spark to reignite the passion in their lives.

“Undercovers” is a fun, breezy ride as the audience follows Steven and Samantha reliving the thrill of espionage together. The two leads have fantastic chemistry, especially out on the field, and play the happily married couple in need of excitement well. They are supported by a solid cast, including MacIntyre’s cocky Nash, who has the best one-liners, and Ben Schwartz as Bill Hoyt, the couple’s sidekick and Steven’s biggest fan. The show is unexpectedly very light-hearted. It is not necessarily a bad thing, but it would be nice if the danger scenes had more of a risk element so you can at least feel like the Blooms are in actual danger. All in all, it seems Abrams has another hit on his hands.

Premiere date: Sept. 22 at 8 p.m.

“My Generation” (ABC)

Viewers will be hit with a bout of nostalgia as “My Generation” transports them back a decade to the beginning of the millennium. The show follows a group of high school students during their senior year as part of a documentary, and then “returns” 10 years later to catch up. The major stereotypes are all there: the jock, the rich kid, the brain, the beauty queen, the nerd, the punk, the rebel, the overachiever and the wallflower. After high school, they (for the most part) go their separate ways to fulfill their dreams. But as the fictional camera crew documents a decade later, life does not always turn out as planned. Friendships are torn apart, couples broken up, but in the end, the question remains — can you ever escape your past?

“My Generation” may seem as though it would basically be a “Gossip Girl” meets “One Tree Hill” mash-up with lots of soap opera drama, but never fear. While it is a bit excessive how the show uses almost every major event since 2000 to influence characters’ decisions, “My Generation” has serious potential.

It definitely has an appeal factor for college students who are still figuring out their lives and maybe are not the person they were in high school. The cast handles their roles reasonably well, with the strongest being Daniella Alonso as Brenda (the brain), Kelli Garner as Dawn (the punk) and Julian Morris as Anders (the rich kid). Overall, the pilot nicely sets up some dilemmas that should have audiences tuning in to see how it all works out.

Premiere date: Sept. 23 at 8 p.m.

“Running Wilde” (FOX)

Steve Wilde (Will Arnett) is a filthy rich playboy who has not worked a day in his life. But despite all his wealth, he has not forgotten his childhood sweetheart, Emmy (Keri Russell), the daughter of the Wilde’s former housekeeper and a selfless humanitarian who wants to save the world. While Emmy loves doing good for mankind, her daughter, Puddle, would rather have a normal life outside of the jungle. Emmy’s current project — saving a tribe from Wilde Oil’s expansion into the rainforest — reunites her with Steve when she comes to beg him to talk to his oil tycoon father. But as Steve does not want to jeopardize his trust fund, he goes about another way to help Emmy, giving him another attempt to win Emmy’s heart.

“Running Wilde” reunites creator Mitch Hurwitz and actor Will Arnett, both from the critically acclaimed “Arrested Development.” With that in mind, one would think they’d need to be prepared to clutch their sides laughing the entire time. However, despite the pilot being funny, it was not as fantastic as expected. It was just missing some kick and smart wit that flourished in “Arrested Development.” But the good news is that the pilot is being re-shot, including the casting of David Cross (Tobias from “Arrested Development”). If you missed the premiere on Monday, the changes might be worth checking out. This may turn out to be a hidden gem and as long as FOX doesn’t cancel it like it tends to do to amazing shows (R.I.P. “Firefly”).

Premiere date: Sept. 21 at 9:30 p.m.